Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How come the regen doesn't get to the "limit" line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone already knows that the dashed yellow line comes on whenever the regen for the car is limited. However, in my case the dashed yellow line might be at 30 or 40 KW, but when you can see the yellow line, the green regen bar never actually gets to that threshold....

this doesn't make any sense to me... does anyone know **why** the green regen bar never actually gets to the dotted yellow line? It seems sensible that the yellow line would be the actual limit and as the car warmed up or the battery stays charged decreased the region would line up exactly with where that line was drawn, and the line would creep from the limit back to a full sixty-ish KW of regen...

thoughts?

My guess would be to insure that the bars never cross the yellow line, even if there is some data noise. I can just see the complaints (with photos) about battery degradation because the yellow line is surpassed.

My car started going to the limit line on occasion after 6.1. In most cases it does not go to the limit line and I often get no re-gen under coasting when the limit line is close to the baseline.

One thought I have is (just pulling numbers out of thin air) is that the battery heater might be using 5kw and so 5kw of regen, when available, is being used to power the battery heater, rather than going back into the battery and that is why you see a difference between the lines.

Mine regularly goes to the yellow dashed line (when the yellow line is there indicating a limit). Having said that, there is also a short period of time after the yellow line disappears from the display when the regen will still only go to where the yellow line was (a phantom limit if you will).

Are you running with Range Mode on or off? On - I've seen this behavior. Off - Regen is typically always maxed based on speed of course.

Hmmm... Since Tesla sent the Torque Sleep Firmware I've been driving with Range Mode ON. Prior to this I had never turned Range Mode On. So, I'm not sure if I've noticed different behavior depending on whether Range Mode is ON or OFF - and my statement about hitting the dashed yellow regen limiter line was made based on seeing it hit numerous times in the last couple of weeks - with Range Mode ON.

Mike

I have always assumed that the line limited the amount of power that the regen would produce, but the display showed what was actually being returned to the battery.

Particularly when we have a lot of demand for heating , the gap is really wide since Battery Regen = (Motor Regen minus electrical load) , the difference being the heating and electronics.

I don't *think* it's related to temperature, because at the moment I'm living in the Bay Area where for weeks at a time the ambient temperature is never below 50F or above 75F... and my car at least has behaved this way since I took delivery. It seems not to matter what the cause of the limit is -- high SoC, low temperature, etc... I've *never* seen my green regen bar get to the dotted line. In mine it basically tracks to about half of what the dotted yellow says I can get.

And there is definitely a phantom limit effect in mine as well - once the dotted line disappears it still takes a few miles/minutes before the regen gets to the full 60kWh.

The limit lines have always been a little flakey. Then regent limit line always has a little margin below it as described here... and it often disappears when there's obviously still a limit in effect. Sometimes it will disappear for a bit then return. I've wondered if there's a little hysteresis built in to prevent overshoot.

The power limiting lines also exhibit some weirdness. They aren't always present when the car is power limited... and when you floor it they'll appear momentarily within the swept area of the power meter... so they aren't quite limiting at the level they indicate. Then they'll disappear as the power needle swings back down. I believe this is because of instantaneous voltage drop during high current situations.

Last edited: