Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nice to see Home Depot supporting the EV game.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see $449 now, too, although I'm sure I saw $399 when I first checked after seeing the OP.

Installation manual is here: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/db/dba9cee7-6f4a-4f66-829f-2343d78ef480.pdf

While the default setup requires a 40A circuit (derated 80% to 32A max charge), there is a jumper that can be installed to derate for 15, 20, and 30A circuits (12, 16, 24A charging, respectively).

Just as a point of technicality, it's not derated. Derating has very specific meaning in the NEC. In this case, the charger can be set for 12, 16, 24, or 32A continuous loads, which requires a circuit rating of 125% the continuous load.

(The difference shows when you do have to derate.)

Just as a point of technicality, it's not derated. Derating has very specific meaning in the NEC. In this case, the charger can be set for 12, 16, 24, or 32A continuous loads, which requires a circuit rating of 125% the continuous load.

(The difference shows when you do have to derate.)
Well, I could be pedantic and argue that the NEC hasn't completely co-opted the term "derate", but I understand your point.

In my defense, however, the GE installation manual refers to it as the "Optional de-rate jumper." I was just copying their lingo without much thought.

Home Depot has been selling EVSE's for a while now. At least here in the midwest though, they are only available on-line and not stocked in stores. I got mine from them online. I think that it is great that these are looked at as mainstream enough for them to stock them. Wouldn't it be great if the national code was changed to require pre-wiring for EVSE in all new construction, nationwide? That is another discussion though.

Home Depot has been selling EVSE's for a while now. At least here in the midwest though, they are only available on-line and not stocked in stores. I got mine from them online. I think that it is great that these are looked at as mainstream enough for them to stock them. Wouldn't it be great if the national code was changed to require pre-wiring for EVSE in all new construction, nationwide? That is another discussion though.

Do you recall if this was actually sent from a HD warehouse? I'm thinking it is probably just drop-shipped rather than being something they "stock". Lots of online sites are listing items from other sellers, ala Amazon Marketplace. Not important, just curious.

Do you recall if this was actually sent from a HD warehouse? I'm thinking it is probably just drop-shipped rather than being something they "stock". Lots of online sites are listing items from other sellers, ala Amazon Marketplace. Not important, just curious.

No, it actually came from Home Depot with a HD return UPS label. The reason I bough it from them rather than direct from the manufacture even though the price was the same is because I was able to use the shop through Chase portal for triple points for HD purchases.

I bought my Leviton 40A EVSE from Home Depot in 2013. At the time, I went to the store and they guy told me they had pulled all the "car charger" inventory from the stores back to the central warehouse. From HomeDepot.com you can always get free shipping to the store of your choice and usually get free shipping to your home.

IMG_8831.JPG
IMG_3864.JPG
Just saw this myself at the Campbell Home Depot.

I'm 99.9999% sure the "in/out" mentioned on the shelf tag is "indoor/outdoor" (not referring to using car as home power battery).

Here is a similar or same product on their online store:

GE EV Charger Indoor/Outdoor Level-2 DuraStation Wall Mount with 18 ft. Cord EVDSWGH-CP01 at The Home Depot - Mobile

Last edited: