Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 878

Thread: The New RAV4 EV

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,000

    The New RAV4 EV

    http://green.autoblog.com/2010/07/16...-to-launch-in/

    Toyota and Tesla have officially announced that the electric prototypes being developed by the California startup are based on the RAV4 crossover, and the two companies hope to have a production version ready by 2012.
    Toyota press release says ...

    With an aim to market the EV in the United States in 2012, prototypes will be made combining the Toyota RAV4 model with a Tesla electric powertrain.
    No information on range or price. I guess late 2012 - so about 30 months away.
    MY11 Leaf : Feb-2011 to May-2013, MY13 Leaf : May-2013 to ?
    Long on TSLA since 2011
    http://twitter.com/EVNow

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    372
    Interesting; at the initial press conference Elon said the aim was to bring a joint
    venture vehicle to market before the Model S. What has changed?
    The prototype has come out quickly. The RAV4 is an existing vehicle so why should it take another 30 months to bring it to market?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    Interesting; at the initial press conference Elon said the aim was to bring a joint
    venture vehicle to market before the Model S. What has changed?
    The prototype has come out quickly. The RAV4 is an existing vehicle so why should it take another 30 months to bring it to market?
    Well, there's a fleet of p-types due this year:
    According to the statements from the two companies Tesla has already produced a prototype that is being tested currently and intends to deliver a fleet of prototypes to Toyota for evaluation within this year.
    and the big picture looks very Toyota-centric:
    If the companies deliver on time, Toyota's plug-in vehicle plans would significantly accelerate. This means the company will introduce an all-electric small SUV, an all-electric small urban commuter car, and a plug-in version of the Toyota Prius on the market in 2012.

    The carmakers may also develop an electric Lexus RX luxury SUV in the very near future.
    The Nummi plant is very large, so there could be a lot of balls in the air at once, of course.

    It could actually propel TM out of the niche-market-status most assign it to a lot faster than anyone has been anticipating. Toyota doesn't need to fool around and take baby-steps.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2

    the electric version of the RAV4 on the way

    Tesla and Toyota announced will start the development of an electric version of the Toyota RAV4 compact SUV
    find the article here http://www.auto-power-girl.com/cars-...4_by_2012.html

  5. #5
    Electrics are back mpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,568
    Blog Entries
    1
    The first version still trades on eBay for $40k+ and is proof that 100 miles on a charge works for many people.

    Looking forwards to it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MPT View Post
    The first version still trades on eBay for $40k+ and is proof that 100 miles on a charge works for many people.

    Looking forwards to it.
    This is probably a stupid question but I assume the original batteries are long gone. How have the owners been replacing them? Have specialty companies or enthusiasts created new battery packs? If so, has the range increased over the years?

  7. #7
    Member roblab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Angwin (Napa Valley) CA
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by user497 View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but I assume the original batteries are long gone. How have the owners been replacing them? Have specialty companies or enthusiasts created new battery packs? If so, has the range increased over the years?
    The only stupid question is one you don't ask. On the other hand, there may be lots of stupid answers.
    I would point you to EVnut's website (EVnut dot com) for answers to almost anything RAV4EV. As a past owner, I can say that there were many, and are many, RAV4EVs out there with over 100K miles on the batteries, and still getting over 100 miles per charge. Some have been getting lower mpc, and a few have replaced the pack through Toyota who uses Battery MD. This company seems to have gotten a hold of many used batteries (from crushed RAV4EVs??) and will assemble a balanced and fresh pack for, what, seems like $15K as I recall. Many owners look forward to another 100K miles. The RAV4EV was and is a great car.
    So far as I know, no one has come up with a replacement pack as Chevron owns the rights to the NiMH large form factor battery and refuses to let anyone use it. Toyota paid fines and had to quit using it in 2002.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by roblab View Post
    I would point you to EVnut's website (EVnut dot com) for answers to almost anything RAV4EV. As a past owner, I can say that there were many, and are many, RAV4EVs out there with over 100K miles on the batteries, and still getting over 100 miles per charge.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I'll check out that website. I don't have range anxiety but I suffer from long term charge anxiety I'm very curious to see how the batteries in the roadster hold up and what the options will be 5-7 years from now. I anticipate a several vendors offering different replacement packs with different characteristics. Should be an exciting time.

  9. #9
    EVs are here to stay Iz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by roblab View Post
    So far as I know, no one has come up with a replacement pack as Chevron owns the rights to the NiMH large form factor battery and refuses to let anyone use it. Toyota paid fines and had to quit using it in 2002.


    I always wonder how much progress was lost because the NiMH technology was essentially shelved by Chevron after acquiring Texaco, which had acquired the batteries from GM.

    150,000 miles was the expected NiMH battery pack life with ~ 120-mile range.

  10. #10
    mod squad TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    15,450
    I imagine that they have at least prototypes of Model S liquid cooled motors, so one question would be "did they use a stock air cooled Roadster motor, or a new liquid cooled motor?"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rav4 EV vs Model S 40kWh
    By Kipernicus in forum Electric Vehicles
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 2013-03-15, 12:15 PM
  2. Rav4 forum?
    By vfx in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2011-08-09, 07:57 AM
  3. Rav4 EV
    By Lloyd in forum Electric Vehicles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2011-02-01, 07:54 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2010-07-21, 11:16 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •