Page 80 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3070767778798081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: The New RAV4 EV

I used my 120v EVSE this afternoon and it was warm after a couple of hours charging. Looking at the cord and the the control box (EVSE) I would guess they are designed for 20 amps at 120 volts, is 2.4Kw. My EV Link puts out 30 amps at 240volts which is 7.2Kw I won't be messing with that 120v EVSE but I will get or make up a 30ft 10ga extension cord for it. I also have figured out a way to make the EV Link portable so I can take it with me on a long trip. I will have a 30A 240v plug on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Took a RAV4 EV demo out for an extended drive for a small rental fee from my local Toyota dealer. I own a 2011 LEAF so I was interested in comparing.
    Basics: Much more solid, feels heavier, dash controls are confusing but not insurmountable. I still don't know how to turn the radio on and off.
    Better view out the back. Side mirrors seem small or maybe just too tapered so that view is restricted.
    What I loved about the RAV4: Jumps off the line and has lots of push left above 60 mph. Much more so than the LEAF.
    In Sport mode it's about at the edge of what I'd consider safe for that setup. It's just too easy to push it. I'd like a stronger regen option for 1-pedal driving. "B"-mode doesn't provide strong enough regen IMO.
    Range seems much better than 100 mi. I charged it up in "extended" mode and went 74 miles, almost all freeway with about 800 ft elevation change r/t. 65-70 mph the whole trip. Battery gauge was above 1/2 full at the end and showed 41 mi remaining. I was not hypermiling by any means.
    The not as good:
    I didn't have time to do a real wall-to-wheels comparison with the LEAF. But using a familiar route and the dash display mi/kWh reading for the trip, it seems about 20% less efficient This is a crude test but this route delivers 3.9 mi/kWh in the LEAF and 3.1 in the RAV4.
    Wind-noise seems worse than LEAF but road noise might be a little better.
    Wife seems to prefer LEAF anyway.

Final thoughts: If this had been available when I bought my LEAF I would have bought it even though it's about $15k more. It just seems like a better value.
    Lease price per dealer was $409/mo; $3200 down, 36mos/ 12k mi + drive-off fees. I hope Toyota sells/leases all they make. I'll be looking for a used one in 3 years.
    I had penciled in the 60kWh Model S. Driving this Tesla drivetrain and ~40kWh battery made me reconsider that a 40kWh Model S might be the way to go for me. I really didn't appreciate how much more I can do with the extra 40-50 miles of range (when I need it). I think it's a 40 or 85 decision now.
    So for you a RAV4 EV + a Tesla Models S 85 would be the ideal world?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ampster View Post
    I used my 120v EVSE this afternoon and it was warm after a couple of hours charging. Looking at the cord and the the control box (EVSE) I would guess they are designed for 20 amps at 120 volts, is 2.4Kw. My EV Link puts out 30 amps at 240volts which is 7.2Kw I won't be messing with that 120v EVSE but I will get or make up a 30ft 10ga extension cord for it. I also have figured out a way to make the EV Link portable so I can take it with me on a long trip. I will have a 30A 240v plug on it.
    reading what you do, it seems just plug & play

- - - Updated - - -

Toyota RAV4 EV demonstrates the potential for an electric SUV

Great article. I got mine two weeks ago without taking the quiz. I lucked out because I picked a dealer with a high allocation.

Driving a RAV4 EV since October
    Converting a VW to electric since April
    Last edited by Ampster; 10-27-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Items for Sale
    I verified last night that I was able to charge the Rav 4 at 120V using the supplied portable EVSE from my Generator. http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/s...ets/a-1398.pdf
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I verified last night that I was able to charge the Rav 4 at 120V using the supplied portable EVSE from my Generator. http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/s...ets/a-1398.pdf
    your portable range extender
    Guess it ways less then the engine of the volt!
    You leave it home every day, until you need it! (how is the volt sentence? electric when you can, gas when you need it? here it is : electric, engine when you need it!)

Items for Sale
    Our local dealership has several Rav 4 EV's on their lot for sale. If anyone is interested send Pat an e-mail.

prichmond@toyotasm.com

My only complaint with this car is that it needs a 60 kw battery, and the ability to quick charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Great idea, but that thing weighs 200lbs so it is not something I am going to be able to throw in the back when I need a little range extender. How are you using it?

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampster View Post
    Great idea, but that thing weighs 200lbs so it is not something I am going to be able to throw in the back when I need a little range extender. How are you using it?
    I was just considering that if there was an extended power outage that I would still be able to charge the car. I have no Intension to tow it.

"They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." Bob Monkhouse

Thread Information