Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was mentioned by Elon in the recent conference call, but has been a tidbit that I have not seen much discussion about (unless I have somehow missed it). SO. What upgrade could significantly impact the entire fleet?? Could this just be the autonomy features finally being activated? Maybe, but that really does not impact the majority of the fleet, right? Could it just be an increase in the top speed, or maybe another acceleration upgrade? If so, I don't know if this is really such a big deal, and Elon sounded excited about it. Any other ideas?

My dream - that all mirror stalks were secretly outfitted and wired, from the very beginning, with the hardware necessary to mount rear view cameras and take the mirrors off, and all Tesla is waiting for is the final NHTSA approval. That would be incredible, but so so unlikely.

The mirror wings are simply metal with no camera, and there's no camera in the housing either. A nice dream, but unfortunately it's just that.

It's hard to say what would qualify as significant. Everyone has their wishlist of stuff they'd like to have. The one that would give owners the most benefit is the release of a 3rd-party API for running apps on the display. That was supposedly on the 2014 roadmap (and likely got bumped for autopilot). The Media app has been essentially untouched since launch, so some smartphone integration would be nice. Valet mode is another common request, but I'm not sure that'd qualify as "substantial."

Support for third-party apps seems like an obvious thing that would apply to all cars, would be seen as a big deal for almost everyone, and has actually been promised already. Certainly could be something else, but I'd say that's a good one to bet one.

This was mentioned by Elon in the recent conference call, but has been a tidbit that I have not seen much discussion about (unless I have somehow missed it). SO. What upgrade could significantly impact the entire fleet?? Could this just be the autonomy features finally being activated? Maybe, but that really does not impact the majority of the fleet, right? Could it just be an increase in the top speed, or maybe another acceleration upgrade? If so, I don't know if this is really such a big deal, and Elon sounded excited about it. Any other ideas?

My dream - that all mirror stalks were secretly outfitted and wired, from the very beginning, with the hardware necessary to mount rear view cameras and take the mirrors off, and all Tesla is waiting for is the final NHTSA approval. That would be incredible, but so so unlikely.

My bet.... a substantial refresh to the UI on the center console that provides some added functionality to all cars (like valet mode), plus implements the changes necessary to make the upcoming "autopilot" functions accessible. The current system is a bit messy. I wouldn't want to be driving down the road drilling through menus trying activate this or that feature. It may also come with the rumored acceleration bump for all cars.

Elon said he was "really excited about the software release we have planned for next month" because it will add "a bunch of features that are going to positively affect the entire fleet ... and of course we'll add more autopilot capability." It sounds like a host of things rather than one single big feature and that's separate from anything autopilot. March could be a good month (but maybe April is more realistic)!

Interesting thread. I just read his comment to refer to more auto-pilot features for the D and the acceleration increase in all of the cars that he mentioned in a tweet a little bit ago. I'd be happily surprised if it were anything more than that.

The acceleration increase he mentioned was for P85D, I believe, not all of the cars. I doubt it's related to top speed either, as that benefits almost no one. Who drives their car at top speed? My guess is updating the apps. There is little else that can affect the entire fleet, including those of us early buyers without parking sensors, much less autopilot hardware.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that it's the looooong awaited, so called, valet mode.
I think a lot of us will be very disappointed if it's not.
Really? I wouldn't consider that significant. But I have no need for it, so.

I think the best bet as mentioned above is a user interface update fleetwide, along with autopilot updates for those so equipped.

Last edited:
Valet mode is a way for the car's owner to enter a password and pub the car in a "restricted state" when handing it over to a valet to park. Possible restrictions could include max speed, acceleration limit, total distance the car could be driven before shutting down, glove box locked, frunk locked sunroof opening blocked, all kinds of possibilities.

The Tesla Roadster had a valet mode from day one.