Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When I joined the forum it didn't have "Introductions" or the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit over 4 years ago I joined the forum and had problems posting back then....

New member, can't log into my profile

I wished I would have toughed it out and stayed because this forum now has an incredibility informed and articulate membership and I wasted those 4 years on the hot rod forums feeling like Don Quixote when mentioning progress in EV development.

What the above link didn't mention was even before getting into EVs 15 years ago, my last work experience in the oil industry was aboard a dynamically positioned 32,000 ton drill ship and I held it in position over the well head with...... wait for it, (6) 5000 hp electric motors. So I guess I was exposed to electric propulsion before getting into EVs.

20 years ago it was such a unique experience to transition from the typical direct drive low speed diesel propulsion (60,000 hp @ 118 rpm) to diesel-electric drive. I remember being so impressed by the low prop speed thrust/torque that I was controlling and thinking it was too bad we didn't have this in mass production for the cars we were driving back then.

Fast forward those 20 years and we have Tesla, headed up by a true visionary, Mr Elon Musk. When he and Ian Wright, along with AC propulsion out of San Dimas started doing some prototypes, I saw the future for EVs were bright and as technology in battery energy density improves, we will leave behind our antiquated fossil fuel industry with its by-products that over time would ruin Mother Earth. This switch to electric personal transportation almost came too late.

The first "EV" I ran, in transit from the Gulf States to Brazil. It is ballasted high for transit, you can make out the thruster domes.

noblemorning2.jpg

The power for those (6) 5000 hp electric thrusters is (7) 4.7 mW diesel gen sets running at 900 rpm

MVC-621F.jpg

My "office"

MVC-730F.jpg

Yours truly
MVC-729F.jpg

OK, there is my proper introduction that wasn't possible 4 years ago when I joined. As I've said recently here, this is a great forum.

Welcome back! You made some great points in your introduction. It's also interesting that one of your initial exposures to electric propulsion came from the oil industry!

Thanks. And it was the actions of the oil industry that convinced me there has to be a better way. Upon leaving that industry I dabbled in EVs and promoted the concept to any gearheads that would listen to me. Problem was a typical member of ICE automotive forums have for some reason a mindset against EVs, so I wasted a lot of effort discussing EVs in that arena.