Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster volume control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stenkb

Roadster 938 Model S 5957 Model X ?
Nov 23, 2009
Lethbridge, Alberta
Has anyone else had problems with the volume on the stereo unit

At first I thought there must be a volume adjustment happening for different car speeds - because the loudness and quietness of my stereo changes all the time on its own and I can`t figure out why - even while on cruise at highway speed it keeps changing... so its not adjusting to speed.

Quite annoying I must say.....

Hope somebody has this figured out already...... Thanks in advance.

upgraded stereo..... at first I thought maybe I had some bad mp3's in my ipod - but it does it when listening to satellite radio as well.....kinda odd

I couldn't find anywhere to turn off speed-volume control in the menu - have you ever seen that anywhere?

Last edited:
Make sure you don't have a GPS route running; it lowers the audio level when it wants to announce turns (adjustable under Nav / Setup / Guidance options).

There are some reverse/speed signal wires, which need to be "calibrated" in the unit setup. But I don't immediately see an indication that the radio volume level adjusts automatically. As far as I can tell it only adjusts the GPS guidance volume automatically!

I downloaded the PDF version of the radio manual; makes it easier to search. It is available at:

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/91/LVT1627-001A.pdf

Last edited:
No, the JVC doesn't adjust music volume based on anything - it's annoying, I'm constantly fiddling with the volume between the freeway and city streets (especially when the navigation side of things has a speed-based volume adjust!). I haven't noticed any strange volume happenings. Note that if you've got MP3s at different levels, but had iTunes 'sound check' them into level, the JVC does not pay attention to that - it's just a piece of metadata held in the IDv2.x tags.

(I've been intended to re-rip my collection using Media Monkey into FLAC w/ volume leveling at the rip point and get away from using the nasty iTunes as the center of my collection - tired of constantly having to re-fix messed up metadata).

I thought I was the only person having this problem. For a while I thought it was just me - a possibility because I'm hearing impaired but I've had passengers notice it too. Botbldr45 described it perfectly. It's usually when I'm listening to satellite radio at higher volumes, happens for 15 - 20 sec then fades back down. I have a 2.5 with the Alpine unit.

My Alpine unit also crashes often on start-up. The only solution is to power it down and turn it on again.

Its gotta be the amp. I changed out the Alpine head unit to a Kenwood DNX-6990HD (so much better than the Alpine!). I still have the occasional substantial volume increase. Happens with the top down (sure that has nothing to do with it) but at a high volume from the head unit either with satellite radio or a USB source.

I suspect it is a change in voltage to the amp. My theory is that the amp is drawing power from the auxiliary 12 volt battery, that 12 volt battery discharges to a lower level due to the high volume level being asked of it by the amp, and the main battery pack kicks in with a periodic higher voltage to charge back up the 12 volt battery. This higher voltage has the effect of a corresponding pumping up of the volume through the amp. That's my theory.

Is the volume increase annoying? Yes. Is it easily remedied? Yes, particularly with my replacement Kenwood which has a volume knob that can be quickly and easily adjusted, so it does not bother me too much anymore. If my theory is correct, the fix might be some kind of voltage control circuit on the amp power supply wire.

Last edited:
Interesting. Who supplied the amp? Tesla or Alpine?

I believe it is an Alpine Amp... I could be wrong though. I took a measure this afternoon and found a 4-10db jump. I might explore an option for correcting this... I'll contact one of the rangers and ask his opinion.

I suspect it is a change in voltage to the amp. My theory is that the amp is drawing power from the auxiliary 12 volt battery, that 12 volt battery discharges to a lower level due to the high volume level being asked of it by the amp, and the main battery pack kicks in with a periodic higher voltage to charge back up the 12 volt battery. This higher voltage has the effect of a corresponding pumping up of the volume through the amp. That's my theory.

If my theory is correct, the fix might be some kind of voltage control circuit on the amp power supply wire.

Yes and no. A linear Vreg won't have the power handeling ability for 15A. (at least most won't) You'd need something more along the lines of a DC-DC converter. I'd still be interested in scoping the power line signal or using a data logger in the power circuit. BTW I replaced the Alpine HU with a Pioneer Z130BT a little over a year ago. (and I gotta say, I love the thing.)