Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bgarret

Model 3 ownin' Michigan scofflaw
May 10, 2013
Michigan
There are 2 interesting themes that have the possibility of intersecting later this year: Model X rollout and demand in China. I think this article is one of the best that came out today:

Here's the weird reason for why the Model X is crucial to Tesla's success in China - Yahoo Finance

i can't think of something much more dramatic and "trendy" than an SUV that goes like a Formula 1 car, with falcon wing doors and seats that are works of art.

If the Porsche Cayenne can sell 26k in China, pretty sure the X will sell like Dim Sum.

Cheers

There are 2 interesting themes that have the possibility of intersecting later this year: Model X rollout and demand in China. I think this article is one of the best that came out today:

Here's the weird reason for why the Model X is crucial to Tesla's success in China - Yahoo Finance

i can't think of something much more dramatic and "trendy" than an SUV that goes like a Formula 1 car, with falcon wing doors and seats that are works of art.

If the Porsche Cayenne can sell 26k in China, pretty sure the X will sell like Dim Sum.

Cheers
mmm Dim Sum.. I'd buy that!

Cheers

If the price doesn't scare people away, there are a number of huge markets for the Model X. It's an obvious shoe-in for most of the black car services with the green credentials, low running costs, smooth ride, and large easily entered rear seats.

It might become a popular taxi as well, if the running cost savings are enough to offset the purchase price, for the same reasons. Another interesting possibility is as a patrol cruiser - the falcon doors would certainly make it easier to get people into the back seats in cuffs, and all the gas spent sitting at idle waiting adds up.

And, of course, there's the traditional audiences Tesla has named - the current SUV and Minivan buyers in the general public who might want a fast smooth comfortable way to move several people around.

Unless Tesla screws something up or the price becomes excessive, Tesla is more or less guaranteed a success in the Model X I think. Can we see it now, please? :)
Walter

My personal thoughts on the Model X have always been along the lines of: "Why are they making this? Who ordered this?"

And now the answer dawns on me. China ordered this. As far as automotive styling and fashion are concerned, the Chinese are still in a sort of 1950s type of mentality where there's no such thing as restraint or proportion, bigger is better, and bigger-and-flashier is better yet. The Model S is just too small and restrained to win them over.

All they need to do is take the Model X and slather chrome all over it. And maybe tack on some tail fins. Chinese will line up to buy it.

Most people in China will find it hard to buy the X due to the Falcon wing doors. Parking spaces in China are impossibly narrow, as little as 12 inches between cars, if the doors work with that then the roof clearance will be an issue as well. You have to see some of the parking spaces to believe it....

rich chinese are into SUVs? news to me.

i thought they were into back-passenger-pampered true lux cars.

well one does not exclude the other. there plenty of SUVs being chauffeured. they tend to like SUVs in the 2nd and 3rd tier cities more than in the first teir cities since the local roads and highways are usually not quiet as good as in the first teir regions.

and actually I do not agree with the notion that the gaudier the object the better it sells. the Chinese tastes in cars is euro centric when it comes to luxury SUVs. You see a lot of RRs and cayennes and Q7s. so I think the X could do well on design and perceived luxury and obviously greentech and all the regulatory perks that come with that. you are certainly no longer surprised when you see an S in shanghai these days. so people have their eyes open and if the charging perceptions are successfully changed then the sales for any model should be able to be stellar

Most people in China will find it hard to buy the X due to the Falcon wing doors. Parking spaces in China are impossibly narrow, as little as 12 inches between cars, if the doors work with that then the roof clearance will be an issue as well. You have to see some of the parking spaces to believe it....

12 inches won't be a problem but roof clearance will be for some.

this phenomenon is more HK centric than mainland though. at least when it comes to the larger cities

My personal thoughts on the Model X have always been along the lines of: "Why are they making this? Who ordered this?"

Actually, the most popular personal vehicle in many affluent zip codes tends to be SUVs:

10 Most Popular Cars in America’s Most Affluent Areas

Bestselling Cars in Americas Wealthiest Zip Codes | TrueCar Blog

Mercedes GL, Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW X5, and Range Rovers are just as popular if not more popular than luxury sedans. About half of Porsche's sales are SUVs.