Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which color is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this on Tesla's homepage today - I'm assuming it's either "Silver Metallic" or "Grey Metallic" but it almost seems to have a Champagney beige hue in there. On the configurator the colors look weird - the silver is almost white and the grey is almost black.

section-initial-original.jpg

Is the "Gray Metallic" the same as what they called "Steel Gray" ?

Steel Gray Impressions | Forums | Tesla Motors
Had to switch Gray colors | Forums | Tesla Motors

Dark metallic gray would be my personal color of choice. On the old Roadster, the Thunder gray was too light, and not metallic enough for my tastes.
I prefer the new "Steel Gray" (or whatever it is called) over the previous "Dolphin Gray" they had before.

Some people think a dark gray is too boring / stodgy / conservative, but I like the way it hides seam lines somewhat, while still giving character to the body lines, and giving a nod to the metallic construction of the vehicle. For those into ultimate safety though, having a vehicle close to the color of asphalt isn't the best way to be seen.

I once bought a Lexus in their color "Graphite Gray Pearl" which I loved as a color. Along with being dark gray metallic it also has a pearlescent finish that throws off highlights when light hits it from the correct angles.

Sik_ISVisCFhoodandLip.jpg

Is the "Gray Metallic" the same as what they called "Steel Gray" ?

Actually, yes, it is Steel Grey. They discontinued Dolphin Grey in favor of this in the July-August 2014 timeframe. I ordered Dolphin and they called me saying it was changed and I could pick any color. I went with Steel and am very happy with it. It is not nearly as dark on the actually are as it is in the photo. It has a slight hint of blue when in the sun up close.

Yesterday I saw what appeared to be a brand new P85D (had the paper "Zero Emissions" sign in the rear plate frame) but it appeared to be painted Dolphin Gray. I was very surprised because that color was discontinued last summer. Maybe I got the color wrong but it sure didn't look like the new Steel Grey.