Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Months in the Garage with zero lasting ill effects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After more than 4 months of non use due to being over-seas, we finally got to drive the Model S again. I'm not sure if that's the longest a Model S has sat still, but here are the things I noticed:

1. The rear suspension had sagged significantly. The top of the tire was almost completely in the wheel well, basically the rim was at the top of the wheel well opening. This immediately fixed itself after either putting my foot on the brake or putting it in gear (I don't remember which).

2. The car held a charge. I think it was charging every night, but it's possible it didn't. We've had issues with our HPWC charging our car. Either way, it was above 210 miles of range left.

3. The tires needed air, but the car was quick to tell me. I don't know why I didn't think about this before driving, but I think I was just excited to drive it again!

4. Updates! The car is better than when I left it!!! Shuffle (although I still haven't figured out how to work it in Slacker), and the other 6.0 and 6.1 updates almost make me feel like I have a new car again! I just wish it would have grown from a + to a D with auto-pilot too...

It's awesome to be back and seeing Tesla's again. I saw one in Tokyo 4 months ago, and then I saw one in Guam about 2 weeks ago (that one was a roadster). I've now seen one almost every time I drive (including the other day when there were 2 of us at a gas station!).

After more than 4 months of non use due to being over-seas, we finally got to drive the Model S again.
It's awesome to be back and seeing Tesla's again. I saw one in Tokyo 4 months ago, and then I saw one in Guam about 2 weeks ago (that one was a roadster). I've now seen one almost every time I drive (including the other day when there were 2 of us at a gas station!).

That's great to hear! Must be a welcome change to be driving electric again.

But what were you doing at a gas station? :biggrin:

By "210 miles of range left", is that what you're now seeing on a MAX charge or what you left the charge level set at while away? If you had checked with the app you'd have likely found that it charged every other day, I believe, even if you didn't set a daily charge.
Also, for others reading this, it is probably best to set the charge level at 50% when you are going to be away for an extended period of time.
Finally, I'm really surprised that your 12v hadn't died during this time. I assume you did not put it on a maintainer or anything?

Shuffle doesn't work with Slacker.
So, I went to mess around with it last night after posting. I thought maybe I had to log-out and log back in to my premium account. That didn't work. So I re-read the change log. It says it does, but the wording (which is pretty bad at actually describing it) mentions playlists. So I tried a playlist (rather than searching for an Album, which I prefer to do). That worked. So it works with Slacker Playlists. Now if you are like me and like Albums, you would have to make an Album into a playlist in Slacker on an Apple mobile device. I probably won't use these functions much, but it would be nice if the back button worked for more than just playlists.

- - - Updated - - -

That's great to hear! Must be a welcome change to be driving electric again.

But what were you doing at a gas station? :biggrin:
Putting Air in the Tires... see point 3. The other guy appeared to have run in quick to get something and lock himself out...

- - - Updated - - -

By "210 miles of range left", is that what you're now seeing on a MAX charge or what you left the charge level set at while away? If you had checked with the app you'd have likely found that it charged every other day, I believe, even if you didn't set a daily charge.
Also, for others reading this, it is probably best to set the charge level at 50% when you are going to be away for an extended period of time.
Finally, I'm really surprised that your 12v hadn't died during this time. I assume you did not put it on a maintainer or anything?

50% would have been a wise idea... i guess, unless my charger failed. Then It would have meant I was closer to zero to start with.

210 was based on 90%, which is/was somewhere between 210 and 220 before I left. I think it was probably re-charging every other day. We have it set to start at midnight (PG&E non peak rate), but in the past I've found that it only recharges if it drains below a specific threshold. Again, for all I know, it never charged once because our charger is acting up. I remember checking it to make sure there was plenty of charge, but I never tracked the exact numbers.

12v, didn't even think about that. It hasn't died yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you need a house sitter?

Heh, had a friend help out with that. Thanks though.