Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting to find the perfect P85+ or no +?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am fine with a used 2013 or 2014 P85.
The only thing I want are the electric powerfolding mirrors. I was told the car had to be made after Nov 2013 to have them. That rules out almost all the 2013 P85 out there. So it looks like I have to get a 2014 P85.

A lot of the 2013 P85 have the performance plus package. Is this noticeable? I am planning to get ones with 21" grey cyclone tires anyways. Will the performance plus add anything like better handling and steering (for someone that doesn't track the car)? I just want a gray on black, preferably with black headliner. But all the ones I have seen are tan or grey headliner.

I think the only difference on the + was the staggered fit tires (wider in the back). If you find a P85 and a set of the staggered fit tires/wheels you will have a P85+.

Or vise versa.

No, the suspension is different. Over time some of the components made their way to all model S vehicles, but in 2013 there was a significant difference between a P85 and a P85+.

No, the suspension is different. Over time some of the components made their way to all model S vehicles, but in 2013 there was a significant difference between a P85 and a P85+.

What made it into all models during 2013 were stiffer bushings for the rear subframe and the rear lower control arms. The remaining unique suspension elements for the P85+ are:

1) Larger sway bars front and rear
2) Stiffer bushings in the rest of the rear suspension elements
3) Different valving for the air dampers
4) Wider rear wheels and tires

These make a BIG difference in the overall handling of the car IMO.

I am very happy with the handling of the +. Quite nimble for such a heavy car. The replacement cost for tires is a killer though. Mine was delivered 9-29-14 and has all the autopilot features. I believe, based on Elon's comments, those features were added to the production line approx 9-15-14. I just made the cut and I love it. Whew!

So how does the P85 performance plus handling and steering feel compared to the P85D? I am not talking speed because you can't compare the two. I mean the handling and steering.

Haven't driven a P85D yet, so don't know. I can tell you I was rather shocked at the difference between my P85+ and a loaner S85 on coils w/ 19's. I was prepared that there would be a difference, but not that it would be so drastic and that it would be so noticeable when just driving around (not hot rodding it).

What made it into all models during 2013 were stiffer bushings for the rear subframe and the rear lower control arms. The remaining unique suspension elements for the P85+ are:

1) Larger sway bars front and rear
2) Stiffer bushings in the rest of the rear suspension elements
3) Different valving for the air dampers
4) Wider rear wheels and tires

These make a BIG difference in the overall handling of the car IMO.
That said, I found the stiffer bushings in the LCAs the primary benefit of the +. As of at least 11/2013, all Model S were shipped with those. The larger sway bars added a hint of twitchyness that I didn't really enjoy, which I believe lola referred to as "head snatch" as you go over uneven pavement. The wider rear tires help, I'm positive of that, but I'm less positive they're well-suited for a daily driver. The inability to rotate tires locks you in to higher maintenance costs unless you swap to non-plus wheels.

#3 above might make a big difference. I was extremely unimpressed with the handling feel of all the air suspension varieties in around the timeframe he's looking, though, which is why I ended up with coils (and why lola switched his P85+ to coils).

Every time this comes up, all I can suggest is to drive a couple. It's awfully subjective. If you're getting air either way, the plus definitely handles better. You'll have to decide if the extra up-front and ongoing (tire) costs make it worthwhile.

Some further notes for OP: You're correct. 11/2013 is when the folding mirrors started rolling out. Mine delivered 11/23 and was the only vehicle that went out that day that had them (it was just about to enter production when I had them switch to the new tech package at the last minute). So for 2013s you have a month an a half worth, at most, and nearly all of those are going to reside in CA since they delivery primarily to CA in December to pad their numbers.

Second, the black headliner wasn't an option in 2013. I don't recall when it was added, but it was at least a few months into 2014.

Good luck in your search. Let us know if we can help!