Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X not being shown until delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just announced on the conference call, due to enhanced/special features that people do not yet know about. I cannot begin to imagine what features would necessitate delivery before reveal. Cory Johnson in the passenger seat??? Any other ideas?!

But Elon did say it was going to be this way because of a special, un-announced feature that the vehicle has, which will necessitate it being delivered before a reveal. This was specifically stated when asked if there was going to be a reveal, to which he replied no. I am just as shocked as you. I imagine that there may be a secret reveal for the founder's edition (to make sure they still want the car), then opening the design studio when Founder #1 is delivered?

His statement was clear, which is why this is no perplexing. I cannot think of a feature so secret that the vehicle cannot even be viewed until its first delivery. Maybe this is paybacks for the Unveil the D fiasco

Last edited:
Suspected this was going to be the case. MS betas were out and about for people to see and drive in a few years ago. MX betas, as we know, are already out and have been for some time. The RCs were folks' only hope at catching a glimpse of the near final version.

My bet: the delayed unveiling is a way to buy more time for NHTSA to approve side cameras. They wouldn't want to show that and not ship it, and at the same time, if they think they have a shot at it, it's worth delaying the unveiling to be able to showcase it.

The quote was:

Question: "Is there going to be any sort of advanced [...] showing of it [...] ahead of the launch that we should be looking forward to?"
Musk: "You know, because there are these different features that I mentioned -- I'm being sort of intentionally obtuse -- we're not going to show it until it gets delivered."

The quote was:

Question: "Is there going to be any sort of advanced [...] showing of it [...] ahead of the launch that we should be looking forward to?"
Musk: "You know, because there are these different features that I mentioned -- I'm being sort of intentionally obtuse -- we're not going to show it until it gets delivered."

Going back and listening to the call again, at 46:30 the specific question leading up to this was "Is there going to be, you know, any advanced showings of it at any auto shows ahead of the launch?" The answer, as you quoted, is no.

That said, they've got to have a reveal some time before deliveries, otherwise what will they show in the configurator?

I think what they're saying is no one is going to get to touch, drive, or get close to a Model X at a car show before launch because of the "other things about the X people don't know about yet" but that doesn't mean they won't have a controlled reveal of their own well before launch so people know what they're configuring.

I believe that the Model X reveal is being held up because of new battery technology. If outed too early the current backlog of 10,000 Model S orders would be diminished and many orders would wait for the new battery to be added to the Model S in the fall of 2015 (remember, no changes until then). Imagine if TODAY Tesla showed us the new Model X with the 100 kWh battery (or 20% lighter battery). The Model S85D would have a 350 mile range (yes, I did the math). The P85D could have a 0-60 in 2.8 seconds (a pure guess) and beat the Corvette Z06.

Side view cameras, improved processor, LTE, etc would also trickle down to the Model S. Everything but the Falcon Wing Doors.

This thread should be renamed to "Model X features not being shown until delivery."
I happen to have heard it as "some cool features" but apparently some heard it as "all features."

What about this as an unrevealed X "feature" that will come standard: the X side mirror housings contain a tiny video camera on the outer edge and the mirrors can be folded flat by the driver when at speed to reduce drag but the video camera still works and displays its image in the center display or perhaps in an extra large rear view mirror.

That way the federal law requiring conventional side view mirrors is followed (all X cars will be delivered with the side mirrors) but at speed the advantage of using low-drag video cameras is possible.

And at X release in mid-summer this same feature will suddenly appear on the S as well. Unannounced.

Remember, you read it here first :)