Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other old hot rodders on the forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First let me say this forum seems to have quite a collection of informed folks and has been a real pleasure posting here. I come from many years of hot rodding and to be quite frank, the hot rod forums are a den of,,, well lets just say not the most progressive group of folks. Every time I even mentioned EVs I would get flamed big time.

So, anyone else hanging out here with that dubious past or present of being a hot rodder?

If so, share what you have/had, so I don't feel all alone.

About 30 years ago, 427 side oiler in a '55.
Image10694x970-1.jpg

Current ride, 1790 lbs with a 427 producing 526 hp @ 5700 rpm, Tremec TKO 600 5-speed, 3.54 Jag IRS, 9.7 ET via G-Tech
DSC01119_zps25206ab7.jpg

Sure read my sig

Stitched Drivers Side view copy.jpg
ERA375 in the Driveway 2004.jpg

Wow, a 390 powered AMX, don't see many of those today. There are some gearheads here. As to the background of my Track-T picture, I was visiting in my old neighborhood which is Cameron Airpark east of Sacramento. I'm looking to return to airpark living in my retirement, but can't afford a typical California airpark, so looking at Oregon and Arizona properties.

DSC01128_zps1baec379.jpg

DSC01122_zpscdae0064.jpg

My next plane will be an electric and FAR Part 103 compliant so no worry of a flunked medical grounding me. Powered by 16 kW motor and 6.7 kWhr battery, it is a motor glider with 24 to 1 glide. Battery good for either 2 hours at 40 mph level flight, or 10,000' climb under power if no lift is found.

10635890_772517679476984_226195063453517776_n_zpseer9ok5f.jpg

Subbed. I'm definitely a fan of hot rods and pro-touring vehicles! How about an EV-rod?

Well I'm sure you and most others on this forum are familiar with the White Zombie. Oregon has always been the early hotbed of EVs and our forum's own, Otmar, has made this possible when he took DC motor controllers from the sedate 175 amp @ 48 volts to earth shaking 2000 amps @ 360 volts. As we all know P=I X E, and what Otmar gave us early EV enthusiasts was a way to control 900+ hp vs 11 hp of the then available golf cart controllers.

Here John Wayland, aka Plasma Boy, explains the Hairball (also a Otmar creation and product) and how it controls switching his twin DC motors from a series connection for launch to a parallel connection for mid strip. The controller is the mighty Zilla, another Otmar design and manufacture.

After the switch from Odyssey lead acid AGM batteries (same as I used before lithium) to A123 lithium, he now runs 10.2 ET in the 1/4 mile.

Last edited by a moderator: