Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Reserved, YAY! # In Line & Mirrors: Conflicting Stories?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
So I'm sure there's a specific thread for this somewhere, but I'm so pumped that I opted to start a new one (sorry, ha)! I'm officially number 15,827 in line for the Model X, just placed my reservation today after having owned a Model S since 2013 - GO TESLA!

Quick question though, does anyone know what the deal is with the mirrors? Last I heard, they weren't sure whether they could meet regulatory requirements with the cameras or not, but the materials they use for reservations tell conflicting stories!

1. As seen on: Buy or Reserve a Tesla | Tesla Motors (reservation page):
Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 2.48.21 PM.png

2. As seen in conformation email after having placed reservation:
Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 2.49.38 PM.png

I don't think anyone knows what the Model X will initially ship with. Tesla would certainly love to ship the car with cameras and no mirrors (I've read claims that the camera pods can reduce drag by 6%,) but current NHTSA rules require explicitly a flat left mirror and a convex right mirror. Tesla can't legally sell the car without them until/unless the NHTSA is convinced to change the rules.

After driving with Honda's "Lanewatch" right side camera a couple times, I'm pretty sure that a well designed camera system can make for better situational awareness in addition to the range benefit and the ability to integrate those cameras into Autopilot, but we'll have to see if automakers can convince the government.
Walter

I'm officially number 15,827 in line for the Model X, just placed my reservation today after having owned a Model S since 2013 - GO TESLA!

Actually this number does not take into account cancellations and order conversions. I believe I saw in another thread that you have to subtract this number by about 15% as that seems to be the reservation cancellation rate. Still, not bad. :tongue:

I don't think anyone knows what the Model X will initially ship with. Tesla would certainly love to ship the car with cameras and no mirrors (I've read claims that the camera pods can reduce drag by 6%,) but current NHTSA rules require explicitly a flat left mirror and a convex right mirror. Tesla can't legally sell the car without them until/unless the NHTSA is convinced to change the rules.

After driving with Honda's "Lanewatch" right side camera a couple times, I'm pretty sure that a well designed camera system can make for better situational awareness in addition to the range benefit and the ability to integrate those cameras into Autopilot, but we'll have to see if automakers can convince the government.
Walter

I read that too, which is why I was really curious - 6% is A LOT for just removing the mirrors. Let's hope they can get an exemption or that the NHTSA revises their restrictions.

Actually this number does not take into account cancellations and order conversions. I believe I saw in another thread that you have to subtract this number by about 15% as that seems to be the reservation cancellation rate. Still, not bad. :tongue:

Oh, really? That's pretty interesting, you'd think Tesla would take into account cancelations!

Oh, really? That's pretty interesting, you'd think Tesla would take into account cancelations!

kind of hard when they offer you a sequential number. How would they reassign reservation number 243 that had been cancelled to someone who reserved after someone who had 1234? People want to see the number in a sequential order as that seems to make the most sense. Cancellations make this difficult. That is why in the earnings release the total reservations are less than the sequential numbers.

kind of hard when they offer you a sequential number. How would they reassign reservation number 243 that had been cancelled to someone who reserved after someone who had 1234? People want to see the number in a sequential order as that seems to make the most sense. Cancellations make this difficult. That is why in the earnings release the total reservations are less than the sequential numbers.

There are two separate numbers, Tesla would (in theory) have to simply keep the "Reservation Confirmation" numbers (RN) in sequence and keep a continually up-to-date sequence number in a portion of your My Tesla account. That would solve it, I'd think... Also, setting up a system like that would be extremely easy on their end.

Last edited:
There are two separate numbers, Tesla would (in theory) have to simply keep the "Reservation Confirmation" numbers (RN) in sequence and keep a continually up-to-date sequence number in a portion of your My Tesla account. That would solve it, I'd think... Also, setting up a system like that would be extremely easy on their end.

There is absolutely no benefit to Tesla to do this. You're talking about adding another layer onto the system (system updates wouldn't be required just in the My Tesla account). And you're talking about making up-to-date competitive information publicly available. As in 'updated hourly'.

Sure, we're curious. But what's the benefit to Tesla for doing something like this?

There is absolutely no benefit to Tesla to do this. You're talking about adding another layer onto the system (system updates wouldn't be required just in the My Tesla account). And you're talking about making up-to-date competitive information publicly available. As in 'updated hourly'.

Sure, we're curious. But what's the benefit to Tesla for doing something like this?

No benefit to Tesla, save satisfying those who are obsessed with numbers/the finer details of their products, as I'm sure a lot of owners are.

That's true about the competitive side of it, but still... If not regularly, at least a weekly/monthly update with a more realistic number would be nice moving forward?

No benefit to Tesla, save satisfying those who are obsessed with numbers/the finer details of their products, as I'm sure a lot of owners are.

That's true about the competitive side of it, but still... If not regularly, at least a weekly/monthly update with a more realistic number would be nice moving forward?

Nice for us. But again, of no benefit to Tesla. If they had an off month for whatever reason, shorts would jump all over that as proof that the company is failing. If they decided to quit doing it, people would freak out.

If they're going to up their 'customer comm' game, there are a lot of things I'd put higher on the list than this.

Nice for us. But again, of no benefit to Tesla. If they had an off month for whatever reason, shorts would jump all over that as proof that the company is failing. If they decided to quit doing it, people would freak out.

If they're going to up their 'customer comm' game, there are a lot of things I'd put higher on the list than this.
True, but the same could be said for the majority of consumer expereince-related improvements at most companies, not just Tesla. There will always be drawbacks from an investors' standpoint.

Last edited:
Also, how's the Roadster doing? I hear Elon wants to create another sports car after the X, likely a reimagined/updated Roadster :D
Do you wish you had the S instead or are you happy with it?

A new Roadster has been on the roadmap for a long time.

Do I wish I had the S instead? Hahahah. You haven't driven a Roadster. No. The S is a beautiful car, but it's a car. You're not connected to the road like you are with a Roadster. Roadsters have soul. And when I get my Model X parked next to it, the X will probably be driven daily ... but the Roadster will go out on those beautiful days where you just want to drive.

A new Roadster has been on the roadmap for a long time.

Do I wish I had the S instead? Hahahah. You haven't driven a Roadster. No. The S is a beautiful car, but it's a car. You're not connected to the road like you are with a Roadster. Roadsters have soul. And when I get my Model X parked next to it, the X will probably be driven daily ... but the Roadster will go out on those beautiful days where you just want to drive.

Yes, I know - I also heard talk of a truck after a new Roadster?

Geeez, way to laugh it up :p I don't know, I for one LOVE all the tech in the S, especially the touchscreen. The Roadster (in its current state) doesn't have the polish I'd like it to as far as that's concerned. Also, I'm not too big of a fan of Lotus to begin with :( However, I certainly believe that it's faster (than mine), but the low-center of gravity on the S is amazing - are the two comparable on that part? Isn't the 0-60 faster on the D as well - 3.7 vs 3.2? Not putting the Roadster down at all, I think it's great, I just really hope they apply what they've learned from the S and X to the next-gen :D

Yes, I know - I also heard talk of a truck after a new Roadster?

Geeez, way to laugh it up :p I don't know, I for one LOVE all the tech in the S, especially the touchscreen. The Roadster (in its current state) doesn't have the polish I'd like it to as far as that's concerned. Also, I'm not too big of a fan of Lotus to begin with :( However, I certainly believe that it's faster (than mine), but the low-center of gravity on the S is amazing - are the two comparable on that part? Isn't the 0-60 faster on the D as well - 3.7 vs 3.2? Not putting the Roadster down at all, I think it's great, I just really hope they apply what they've learned from the S and X to the next-gen :D

I didn't say the S wasn't a great car. :) Obviously I'm a fan ... I'm in line for a Model X, just like you.

The Roadster is not a Lotus, a common misconception. The body was made on the Lotus line, is very similar to a Lotus Elise ... but is wider and (I think) slightly longer. Only 6% of the parts are interchangeable ... things like mirrors, etc.

Didn't say the Roadster was still faster. I said it had soul and a connection to the road that the S doesn't have. And I've had many, many hours behind the wheel of an S. The S is an order of magnitude better than any other sedan on the road (imo), but ... very few original Roadster owners would give them up. Yep. The Roadster is crude, low-tech, everything you said and more. It's hard for a lot of people to get in and out of. There's no storage. And and and. Like I said, you haven't driven one :).

Two great cars, filling different needs. If I needed a sedan, the Model S would be parked in the garage next to the Roadster. But I need the size of the Model X.

I didn't say the S wasn't a great car. :) Obviously I'm a fan ... I'm in line for a Model X, just like you.

The Roadster is not a Lotus, a common misconception. The body was made on the Lotus line, is very similar to a Lotus Elise ... but is wider and (I think) slightly longer. Only 6% of the parts are interchangeable ... things like mirrors, etc.

Didn't say the Roadster was still faster. I said it had soul and a connection to the road that the S doesn't have. And I've had many, many hours behind the wheel of an S. The S is an order of magnitude better than any other sedan on the road (imo), but ... very few original Roadster owners would give them up. Yep. The Roadster is crude, low-tech, everything you said and more. It's hard for a lot of people to get in and out of. There's no storage. And and and. Like I said, you haven't driven one :).

Two great cars, filling different needs. If I needed a sedan, the Model S would be parked in the garage next to the Roadster. But I need the size of the Model X.

Yes, they're all great cars and I'm extremely stoked, as I'm sure you are too!

That's interesting, I knew it was based on the Elise, but I always figured it was more or less the same (as far as the body is concerned).

Hmmmmm..... Also interesting. I'm definitely open-minded when it comes to the Roadster, but I don't know how anything could sway me from loving the S like I do. If you want to try to change my mind, maybe you should let me test drive yours, seeing as I haven't driven one :p.

Completely agree there, I like how low the Roadster is to the ground, which is probably the primary reason behind your earlier statement suggesting that you feel connected to the road. You and me both, the size of the X opens up a world of possibilities for EV enthusiasts :D.

Yes, they're all great cars and I'm extremely stoked, as I'm sure you are too!

That's interesting, I knew it was based on the Elise, but I always figured it was more or less the same (as far as the body is concerned).

Hmmmmm..... Also interesting. I'm definitely open-minded when it comes to the Roadster, but I don't know how anything could sway me from loving the S like I do. If you want to try to change my mind, maybe you should let me test drive yours, seeing as I haven't driven one :p.

Completely agree there, I like how low the Roadster is to the ground, which is probably the primary reason behind your earlier statement suggesting that you feel connected to the road. You and me both, the size of the X opens up a world of possibilities for EV enthusiasts :D.

Nope, sorry, not trying to sway you. Just was explaining why I have no regrets at having a Roadster over the Model S. (And the connection to the road isn't because it's lower to the ground.)