Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Touchscreen Screen Protector needed ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting on my delivery but was wondering if anyone has used a screen protector on their touchscreen.
Does it help with fingerprint smudges, clarity issues, etc?

I have it and I think it's great although I'm not sure I can compare much to what it's like without it because I didn't go very long without it. It does reduce fingerprints and glare. Supposedly it's supposed to help with impact too (ie. if you brake hard and an object hits the screen). I'd buy it again.

Still waiting on my delivery but was wondering if anyone has used a screen protector on their touchscreen.
Does it help with fingerprint smudges, clarity issues, etc?

I have it and I think it's great although I'm not sure I can compare much to what it's like without it because I didn't go very long without it. It does reduce fingerprints and glare. Supposedly it's supposed to help with impact too (ie. if you brake hard and an object hits the screen). I'd buy it again.

x2.... I would also buy again. though I would get (should have gotten) the matte finish one ... the glossy one protects, but doesn't cut glare quite enough.

I have the matte finish one, and I love it. It's not "required" but wow, it's so much nicer to use, and have a great "finger feel" if you know what I mean. I still need to wipe it down once in a while, but it doesn't collect finger prints like the naked screen does.

My tip when applying the protector -- use dust/powder free rubber gloves! That way, if you need to, you can touch the sticky side without leaving any oily fingerprints if you need to adjust the alignment during install.

I've had my P85 for 2 years - and 50K miles - and haven't found any need for a screen protector.

The biggest issue with the screen without a protector is that it accumulates fingerprints - which are easily removed with a microfiber cloth I carry in car.

How easy is it to apply it bubble-free? I have problem applying a phone protector and am scared of doing a big 17" one.

I did mine by starting at the bottom and working upwards thus allowing air to escape instead of being trapped. Of course, this is a "series" of 1 case and no guarantee that it will work every time.

It's very easy if you go slow and steady. Wear rubber gloves. Make sure the area is dust and disturbance free (kids, etc). Instead of using the cardboard card included with the kit, use a plastic credit card to smooth out the bubbles. (the card I used became flimsy half way through). I started at the top and worked down. I did end up with a couple of very small bubbles, but you can't see them unless you look really hard, and the touchscreen is totally off. It's not that hard to get it right.

I don't have one and can't imagine why I would need one. The screen is great for dealing with glare (even with the pano roof opened in summer) and smudges are not nearly as big a problem as I thought they might be.

It's like sex.. until you have one and use it, it's hard to imagine what it's like (I'm talking about the matte finish protector). But once you have it, you'll never go back.

I don't have one and can't imagine why I would need one.
Neither could I, until I scratched mine with my finger. I think maybe a piece of dirt or something landed on the screen, which I then unfortunately smudged around with my finger when assigning an app to the lower half of the screen. I now have a nice little downward scratch from my media player icon :-/.

That said, I still don't have a protector. Guess I should get one.

- Said the guy who doesn't like to put "protection" stuff on anything... phone cases, displays, xpel, and so forth.

There are a lot of finger prints on the screen - BUT they are not visible when the screen is on. I don't spend much time with the screen (and car) off starring at the screen so I don't have a problem. I have had my P85 for 93 days and clean my screen about 3 times. Certainly could be cleaned every couple of days, if I wanted perfection. But I would rather drive and enjoy.