Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who else has cold toes in their Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally posted in a Roadster thread following up Model S owners that also have this problem. Breaking this out into a Model S forum to see if there are others with the same issue:

So I thought I would search today and see if anyone else has this problem. Turns out I'm not alone.

I am comfortable in the car wearing a winter jacket and (before the car warms up) gloves if it is really cold. I set the heat to about 68 which is a comfortable temp (I keep my house at around 65 and that is comfortable for me) and I usually at least start the drive with the seat heater on. For some reason I can never get my feet warm in the car! On short trips it isn't a big deal, but on longer trips it gets to be pretty noticeable.

I keep the car in range mode so that may be a factor. I set the air to outside (recirculate causes fogging), I have the vents set to only the foot well, and I have the fan set to 8.

Does anybody else have this issue or is this just me and my poor extremity circulation?

It's the range mode, had the same issue. It's also a lot colder on the east coast than west so that might have something to do with it. You can also try turning off the a/c but that might make your windows fog with colder weather.

Originally posted in a Roadster thread following up Model S owners that also have this problem. Breaking this out into a Model S forum to see if there are others with the same issue:

So I thought I would search today and see if anyone else has this problem. Turns out I'm not alone.

I am comfortable in the car wearing a winter jacket and (before the car warms up) gloves if it is really cold. I set the heat to about 68 which is a comfortable temp (I keep my house at around 65 and that is comfortable for me) and I usually at least start the drive with the seat heater on. For some reason I can never get my feet warm in the car! On short trips it isn't a big deal, but on longer trips it gets to be pretty noticeable.

I keep the car in range mode so that may be a factor. I set the air to outside (recirculate causes fogging), I have the vents set to only the foot well, and I have the fan set to 8.

Does anybody else have this issue or is this just me and my poor extremity circulation?
My new car was the same and they found a duct that wasn't attached. Although my Sig was colder in range mode.
Why do you use range mode all the time? I see you have a 40 do you drive a lot every day?

My new car was the same and they found a duct that wasn't attached. Although my Sig was colder in range mode.
Why do you use range mode all the time? I see you have a 40 do you drive a lot every day?

I'll try turning off range mode and see if it gets better.

I leave range mode on because I have a short daily commute (and I don't really get that cold on the drive), but once in a while I have to drive to Boston and back in the same day. This is just doable in the summer, but in the winter I need every bit of range I can get plus some charging while I am down there. So if I forget to put it in range mode on the way down it will take me longer to charge to get home. So I thought I would just leave it in range mode all the time so I don't forget.

I think it is a function of fan speed. I've noticed on longer drives that my car starts out nice and toasty, but after time, it does start getting cold down by my feet. I checked and Auto had turned the fan speed down quite low. I bumped the fan speed up a bit and the problem was solved. You can turn the temperature up which will temporarily increase the fan speed, but once the car temp rises, the fan will just slow down again if it's on Auto.

It was definitely range mode. Driving home this afternoon with range mode off my feet were nice and toasty! Thanks for the help.
What I do is warm it up from the app for one or 2 cycles while it's plugged in.
Then you get a warm cabin and battery so you have regen on a cold day. It won't warm the battery though in range mode.
So you'll have to remember before you go out to put in in range mode if going on s longer trip.

What I do is warm it up from the app for one or 2 cycles while it's plugged in.
Then you get a warm cabin and battery so you have regen on a cold day. It won't warm the battery though in range mode.
So you'll have to remember before you go out to put in in range mode if going on s longer trip.

jgdixon already knows this, but others may not...we're hoping to get Tesla to offer a battery heating option, which would make some aspects of this easier. Please see this thread for details, and then vote in the poll: Would you use battery heating if it were available?

My feet are freezing....not in range mode....had my car 2 weeks....should I get service to check it out next time I'm there? Is there a way to test to make sure all the air is getting down there thats supposed to?

What are you settings for the temp, fan, vent etc? If these are the same as mine (up thread), then yes, I would take it in or at least call. Once I turned range mode off not only did I have toasty toes, but when I preheated the cabin before driving this morning (as I usually do if I remember), I actually had some regen! I haven't seen regen in months and it took me a little while to get used to it again. ;)

I responded to the battery heating poll in the affirmative too.

I have the same problem and find it annoying. I took it in for service and they said everything was fine. Apparently, when selecting only floor vents, a good 75% of the air goes through the dash. They said it was designed that way. I think it harkens back to the fogging issue they had some time back and personally think they over compensated. I don't understand why they couldn't put the majority of the airflow to the selected vent. If we want more air up at the windscreen when wanting it at the floor also, all we should need to do is select both vent options from climate. In order to get warm feet I have to put the temp much higher than I would like for the rest of my body. Seat heaters don't seem to help this.

Seems like a very easy fix to me.

Had a long road trip in cold temps recently and noticed a significant change in floor temp when took a break and rode in the front passenger side (I do 99% of driving on road trips generally). The floor temp was hot (uncomfortably so IMO) on the passenger side compared to the driver's side which felt too cool. Climate control was synced for driver/passenger. I'll have service check to see if all is hooked up correctly.

Had a long road trip in cold temps recently and noticed a significant change in floor temp when took a break and rode in the front passenger side (I do 99% of driving on road trips generally). The floor temp was hot (uncomfortably so IMO) on the passenger side compared to the driver's side which felt too cool. Climate control was synced for driver/passenger. I'll have service check to see if all is hooked up correctly.
I have D and was concerned about the air flow from the drivers side. Service found a hose or something like that disconnected.
it seemed a bit better but now that it has been really cold I complained again. They said they are aware of the issue but there is nothing they can do at this point. Guess that's what happens when a car is developed by people in California!