Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you experienced HomeLink problems since 6.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HomeLink has worked perfectly for me since March 2013, but recently (I believe since the 6.1 update) it has been sporadic or not worked at all. I've tried reprogramming and even deleted the HomeLink data and started from scratch. The programming went fine, but the door opener does not respond at all now. It works fine with two remotes.

Have anyone else noticed HomeLink problems since 6.1?

My range seems to have gotten better after 6.1, actually. Did you reboot after deleting the Homelinks? Do you need to put your opener unit into learning mode to reprogram the Homelinks?

I like the sounds of that. No, I did not do a reboot after deleting the HomeLink file. Yes, putting the opener in learning mode is part of the routine. The weird thing is that the car confirms that it was successful, even though it obviously wasn't.

What angles do you have on your driveway approach? I ask because I approach my doors nose-down on a sloping driveway from a 90-degree angle. I actually had to run antenna wire outside my garage door to improve reception. Homelink previously would only work fine to close the door, but not to open it...difficulty getting the signal through the door itself.

No problem after 6.1 for me. I've only ever been on 6.1 variants, since October thereabouts. Sometimes radio transmission is a bit laggy. Like 2 seconds after hitting the button, the transmit waves show and the door goes up.

My garage door, on the other hand, is the thing that seems to have an intermittent problem. Sometimes it just refuses to go up with many presses. Parked right in front of it. Yet, pressing my wife's door in that situation works every time, first try. And as soon as I do that, one press again on my door again.... goes up.

When it's having a good day... I can open my door at 30 paces from within Tesla, just as well as her's. On first press.
There must be some kind of cross talk or rotating code conversation going on between the doors...

It was like this too, using the two standard openers that come with the doors.
So it's not a Tesla issue.

Last edited:
I suspect some outside influence is the cause of the issues. Based on what little of know of HomeLink it's self I doubt the Tesla system software will have any direct effect on how it works from an RF standpoint.

What brand opener do you have? Does the original remote work from inside the car while the HomeLink doesn't?

A New Problem!

What brand opener do you have? Does the original remote work from inside the car while the HomeLink doesn't?

It's an Overhead Door unit from 2001. The Tesla worked perfectly with it right up until 6.1. The remote works fine. HOWEVER, now I have a new problem, a somewhat more serious one..

IMG_1352.JPG

After a dozen or more attempts to program the Tesla, whilst the ambient temp hovered around 0F, the repeated opening and closing of the door fractured one of the big tension springs. Now the door is down for good—at least until Friday when the Overhead Door people might be able to make it over to my home—with both the Model S and my backup car trapped inside! I've heard that these tension springs are nothing to mess with unless you know exactly what you're doing. The energy stored in the springs when the door is down is substantial, especially in my case because the door is a double-wide insulated model that must weigh close to 1,000 lbs. There's no lifting that door at this point!

The age of the springs may have played a role here, but the cold was probably a bigger factor. The white stripes on the right half of the spring are curious—probably the result of some serious heat being generated.

Well, at least the Model S is plugged in. :crying:

Model S has a homelink branded transmitter behind the front fascia you can see it if you pop it off. All RF related issues would be coming from that box.
The car software just "pushes the button" on that transmitter module.

It's an Overhead Door unit from 2001. The Tesla worked perfectly with it right up until 6.1. The remote works fine. HOWEVER, now I have a new problem, a somewhat more serious one..

View attachment 72034

After a dozen or more attempts to program the Tesla, whilst the ambient temp hovered around 0F, the repeated opening and closing of the door fractured one of the big tension springs. Now the door is down for good—at least until Friday when the Overhead Door people might be able to make it over to my home—with both the Model S and my backup car trapped inside! I've heard that these tension springs are nothing to mess with unless you know exactly what you're doing. The energy stored in the springs when the door is down is substantial, especially in my case because the door is a double-wide insulated model that must weigh close to 1,000 lbs. There's no lifting that door at this point!

The age of the springs may have played a role here, but the cold was probably a bigger factor. The white stripes on the right half of the spring are curious—probably the result of some serious heat being generated.

Well, at least the Model S is plugged in. :crying:

The white stripes let the garage door tech visually get an idea of how tight or loose the spring has been wound up to. Not related to heat. And, yes, never mess with these springs unless you really know what you are doing.

So you know that you're not alone, I too am experiencing Homelink issues since receiving the 6.1 update but have yet to take any measures to resolve yet. I'm coming up on 2 years ownership and it's always worked very well, now it's very moody, It seems as though during the daytime it works maybe 9 out of 10 times, however at night it's been taking anywhere from 3-8 presses on the touchscreen before the garage responds. I'll try deleting, rebooting and reprogramming and update here with how that goes.

The white stripes let the garage door tech visually get an idea of how tight or loose the spring has been wound up to. Not related to heat.

Ahhh. That's makes sense. The spring on the other side (outside of the photo) doesn't have it. Perhaps the stripes are only needed on the side installed first?

- - - Updated - - -

So you know that you're not alone, I too am experiencing Homelink issues since receiving the 6.1 update but have yet to take any measures to resolve yet. I'm coming up on 2 years ownership and it's always worked very well, now it's very moody, It seems as though during the daytime it works maybe 9 out of 10 times, however at night it's been taking anywhere from 3-8 presses on the touchscreen before the garage responds. I'll try deleting, rebooting and reprogramming and update here with how that goes.

Interesting. The Overhead Door guys are finally coming over this morning. I'm going to have them do a full reset on the door motor unit, and then I'll do a reboot on the Model S, and create a fresh Homelink file. I have a ranger coming by in a week or so, as well. Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of it. Previous to this, mine also worked just fine for two years.

The verdict! The memory cache in the door opener unit had gotten scrambled. After the garage door tension springs were replaced, the tech cleared the memory in the opener and reprogrammed the various remotes. Lastly, I deleted the previous Homelink tab in the Model S, rebooted the touchscreen, and created a fresh Homelink tab. Now everything works!