Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Build Capacity? Threat to TSLA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

First i wanna tell y'all I'm long in TSLA.

Now to want i wanna discuss.

Ppl talk a lot about the potential threat to TSLA in the EV market.
As Gigafactory will dubble the battery build capacity, as for now there is a build maximum of half a million cars with a reasonable rage and li-ion cells. But imagine the amount needed for all other applications.

So if someone will steal the future sales from TSLA they have to expand the Battery production ALOT.

Bolt will have a production capacity of 25-30 000.

Model3 500 000 in 2017

What do you think about this?

Hello everyone!

First i wanna tell y'all I'm long in TSLA.

Now to want i wanna discuss.

Ppl talk a lot about the potential threat to TSLA in the EV market.
As Gigafactory will dubble the battery build capacity, as for now there is a build maximum of half a million cars with a reasonable rage and li-ion cells. But imagine the amount needed for all other applications.

So if someone will steal the future sales from TSLA they have to expand the Battery production ALOT.

Bolt will have a production capacity of 25-30 000.

Model3 500 000 in 2017

What do you think about this?

Yes, I won't respect any competitor as legitimate until they have a way to get comparable battery capacity (e.g. Build their own GigaFactory).

i suspect we will see this headline sooner or later: "BMW to build GigaFactory with Samsung" or "Apple releases concept I-car and plans for their own Gigafactories" or "Foxconn announces plans to build multiple Gigafactories in China"

Yes, I won't respect any competitor as legitimate until they have a way to get comparable battery capacity (e.g. Build their own GigaFactory).

i suspect we will see this headline sooner or later: "BMW to build GigaFactory with Samsung" or "Apple releases concept I-car and plans for their own Gigafactories" or "Foxconn announces plans to build multiple Gigafactories in China"

The most we can expect from other players are the MEGA, not Giga factories...:smile:

Which means that none of them is really serious about EVs...

GM's joint venture with LG-Chem can produce enough cells for 60k Volts OR 13.3k Bolts.

It is my understanding that GM's UAW contract allows them to go to double shifts at the Holland Michigan battery plant.

So, that would be enough cells for 120k Volts or 26.6k Bolts if GM hires an additional 100 workers.

It can also double the capacity of battery plant by buying new machinery as the current buildings are not even half occupied.

I don't see GM importing battery cells at higher cost from Korea.

Nissan Battery assembly plant in Tennessee and the UK are said to have a capacity for 200k 24 kWh LEAFs.

But supposedly they are also constrained to roughly current levels by the number of battery components they can buy.

I am not up to date on Renault but they also source from LG Chem.

No one else is in the ballpark of serious.