Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D about to enter production - what have I done!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got the "your Model S is about to enter production" email from my DS. I originally had an 85 on order, then changed to 85D when the Ds got announced, then a few weeks ago asked to change to the P85D after a couple of euphoric test drives.

With that euphoria in the relatively distant past, this imminence of production is making me question whether I've seriously lost my mind. Only a few years ago I was perfectly content with my little 2.0T Audi A4, and could not have imagined spending 120K on a 3.1 second, 691HP, Hellcat-slaing drag strip electric monster. With baby seats in the back. For the sedate streets of the Chicago suburbs, and the occasional congested freeway run downtown.

It's obviously past the point of no return now, so all you people with P85Ds in your garages, please just tell me that it's totally worth it, and that you'd do it again. :)

It's obviously past the point of no return now, so all you people with P85Ds in your garages, please just tell me that it's totally worth it, and that you'd do it again. :)

Okay so I don't have a P85D, but I'm only 350-miles east of you in Cleveland, and I have a RWD 85 non-performance (early 2014, pre auto pilot). And I've driven (and passenger enjoyed) the P85D enough times to say it is WELL worth it. Had my wife given me the green light I'd already have ordered mine. But she thinks the current car costs/payments are suffice (and in truth the extra cash for the added power is something I want, but realize I'd not use THAT often).

I'd actually be content with an 85D, but I'm waiting for the next gen seats to make their way. The moment the 85D can be ordered with the next gen seats my order/deposit goes into the system. Just waiting... patiently.

BTW-- your car sounds PERFECT. Your signature options list the EXACT options that I'd order... SERIOUSLY! The ONLY difference is I only have 1 kid who is 7, so I'd ditch the rear facing seats. And my current car is silver, and I've been back-and-forth about the next one being silver vs grey. Otherwise, identical setup. (I've also considered the carbon dash, but feel that might not be "earthy" enough and if i went wood, def Matte). We have quite similar tastes.

If I make it to Chicago over the summer (almost always do, for deep dish pizza with the family!) I'll have to look you up, would love to see that color combo in person. Ciao! - Ari

If you were hooked enough to buy the car, then I'm 99.9% certain that it will give you more pleasure and excitement than you've gotten from every prior car combined. And that's coming from a P85 owner, without the D. You'll probably get more.

PS, also in Chicago... my 2 strong recommendations: 1) if you ordered 21" summer tires, get either a winter or all season set in 19" or 20" for the winter. All wheel drive provides a false sense of security without rubber. 2) get paint correction and full car film (xpel or suntek) immediately before you start accumulating nicks... 5k more but well worth it... PM me if you want to discuss.

Even if you regret it you will be able to off load it quickly, minus the tax credit. My guess there is going to be a lot of people in the same boat that jumped and will regret it and want to off load fast. This is why I have not ordered one yet, hoping to pick up a used one in the next few months.

What's your happiness worth? Of course you've done the right thing - half of the point of owning a Tesla is JOY. And, regardless of the attention paid to the occasional fire, these cars are incredibly safe. Watch the video of the guy in Los Angeles who walked out of a front end/driver's side collision at high speed - the combination of the strength in the steel frame and the "give" in the carbon body saved his bacon. So you're doing a good thing for whomever is sitting in both the driver's seat ... and the baby seats. Relax. Smile. It's all good.

Even if you regret it you will be able to off load it quickly, minus the tax credit. My guess there is going to be a lot of people in the same boat that jumped and will regret it and want to off load fast. This is why I have not ordered one yet, hoping to pick up a used one in the next few months.

Funny you should mention that... I was just looking at the taxes to title and register mine today and it's OUTRAGEOUS.