Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will fixing a small dent put an accident on my CarFax?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Sunday, I found a note on my parked Model S. It was an apology from a man who had backed into my left rear fender causing a small dent. I got an estimate from the only Tesla-approved repair shop here - $4000! Apparently, they’re confident they can heat the aluminum, stamp it back into place and repaint it.

When I forwarded this estimate to the wrongdoer, he remained apologetic and said he wants to get his insurance company, USAA, involved.

Good for him, however, I am wary of having this repair showing up as an accident on my CarFax. Two years ago, I damaged the bumper of my M3 in a steep driveway. My insurance fixed it, yet CarFax showed my vehicle as being in an accident, which affected my resale value.

I’ve googled this, and results are mixed. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

If you're that concerned, take pics of the damage so when it comes time to sell you can show them how minor it was.

I did exactly this for a car I had a while back (350Z, not a Tesla). The damage was probably similar to what OP is talking about, I rubbed the front fender on another car in the driveway while turning it around and creased the fender. Took pictures and showed the person interested in buying my car and they were happy to see it was very minor and would not have caused any structural issues.

I believe CarFax shows accidents greater than or equal to $3000. Anything less won't be shown; that's why Canadians prefer CarProof because it shows everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Last Sunday, I found a note on my parked Model S. It was an apology from a man who had backed into my left rear fender causing a small dent. I got an estimate from the only Tesla-approved repair shop here - $4000! Apparently, they’re confident they can heat the aluminum, stamp it back into place and repaint it.

When I forwarded this estimate to the wrongdoer, he remained apologetic and said he wants to get his insurance company, USAA, involved.

Good for him, however, I am wary of having this repair showing up as an accident on my CarFax. Two years ago, I damaged the bumper of my M3 in a steep driveway. My insurance fixed it, yet CarFax showed my vehicle as being in an accident, which affected my resale value.

I’ve googled this, and results are mixed. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

If $4000 is easily affordable to you, I would pay for the fix and make sure it is not reported to Carfax or the likes. I had a hard time selling my 2012 VW Tiguan because Carproof showed a $1,014 stupid accident!

If $4000 is easily affordable to you, I would pay for the fix and make sure it is not reported to Carfax or the likes. I had a hard time selling my 2012 VW Tiguan because Carproof showed a $1,014 stupid accident!
The problem being that even if you pay out of pocket there's no guarantee it'll stay off the report (see link above). There are a bunch of different data sources they used.

I had someone back into my car in January. All repairs were taken care of by insurance. I asked the repair shop if it would show up on CarFax. He asked if the police were called. I told him no. He indicated that even though insurance was used that because there was no police report it would not show up.

-Rod