Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK unsubsidised solar pv report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in the general forum, but worth adding to the UK forum:

I was just reading this report on when the UK (yes, cloudy, wet and cold UK) could move to unsubsidised solar. Some valid points and a mention of Tesla getting battery storage costs down. Utility behaviour may also drive people to offgrid solutions (bumping up grid connection fees before any usage).

I think they miss discussing the growing use of EVs and people with Solar PV charging during the day and ideas like Leaf to Home taking off, in relation to increasing utilisation of generation rather than returning to the grid.

http://www.thema1.de/wp-content/uplo...d_UK_Solar.pdf

I only have a small 3.5kW solar install, but looking at doubling that now that I will have 2 EVs in the household.

I have 3.8kw solar near Swansea which I installed in 2010. It looks as though payback will be in about 9.5 years just taking the subsidy into account. It is about 8.5 years if I include the saving on imported electricity.
I recently bought a Leaf (to long to wait for Model 3) to use some of the spare solar electric I have. I am also waiting for cheaper battery storage before doubling my solar production.

Due to lowering costs, its less than 10 years now I believe.

The figures I quoted were when prices were high and subsidy was high. As far as I am aware the payback time is about the same for the high price/subsidy model and the low price/subsidy model. The difference is that the higher model lasts for 25 years and the lower model is over 20 years.