Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you financed a Tesla in PA - were you able to roll the sales tax into the loan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my "welcome" email from my DS today and he mentioned about PA being a self-registration state where you have to go to the tag store and register there and pay your taxes.

I'm planning to finance as much of the purchase price as I can since rates are so low. I always include the tax in my loans, but I've never had to register the car myself (Usually the dealer does it and it's one big check from the bank.) Anyone have experience with this? I'm wondering if I can get the credit union to write two checks for the loan - one to Tesla, and one to me for the sales tax (Or maybe right to the state/tag store.)

I think you will not be able to do this because you have to go to PennDOT and register it yourself.

I'm also in PA.

I pick mine up the 21st from NJ, because they said I could get it sooner than from KOP.

They don't seem to know if I'll get NJ temp tags (I'm guessing). or what.

I also have a trade-in which lowers my registration cost. (its 6% of the sale price MINUS trade in) (in PA).

so, I think we are in the same... boat.

I'm also wondering where to get this thing inspected for a PA inspection sticker, as I'll need registration and insurance first, then inspection.

And it will have to be a PA shop, but I don't want just any grease monkey touching my new grease-free baby...

Yeh, I understand the process - it's just a matter of will the bank cut two checks. I have until end of March to find out. If not, not the end of the world, but would be nice.

Where are you (Roughly) in PA? I'm in Delaware county and could give you a name of someone (But what are the chances you're in this area?!)

Yeh, I understand the process - it's just a matter of will the bank cut two checks. I have until end of March to find out. If not, not the end of the world, but would be nice.

Where are you (Roughly) in PA? I'm in Delaware county and could give you a name of someone (But what are the chances you're in this area?!)

Sorry, this is totally unrelated but I lived in this house in Broomall in 1962-1966. It was just cool to see someone from there on the forum!

I have ordered my second Model S. Currently stuck waiting on the "inspection" from the third party inspector before I can finalize the trade-in. My delivery is late-May to early June.
our house in Broomall.jpg

Not in PA, but I had the same question for VA. I was looking around for quotes, and my local credit union said they have no problem cutting 2 checks. One for the bill of sale to Tesla, and one for the sales tax to the DMV (where I'll have to go to self-register the car)