Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC Disabling in Tunnels. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last week or so I've driven several times through a tunnel near where I live (about 1-2 miles long, descending about 80 ft below the surface of the Chesapeake Bay). Anyway, like clockwork, TACC always disables within about 30 seconds of entering the tunnel. I get a "Cruise not available" message. This has happened 3 times (every time I've driven through it).

My question is--why? What about the tunnel is shutting down the cruise? The driving and road condition isn't any different.

Two theories:

1) The increased pollution from ICE exhaust in the tunnel is causing issues with the radar. (This seems most plausible, although I have a hard time believing that exhaust would cause enough of a radar signature to cause issues).

2) The camera is somehow involved in the TACC system, and it's getting confused by the lighting conditions.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I've read that a lot of people reboot the touchscreen when they get a "cruise not available" message while using TACC. I've found that simply toggling cruise off and then back on (using the button at the end of the stalk) is sufficient to reset the system and begin using it again (given that the condition causing the error has gone away).

The RADAR will work fine through smog.

The problem will be echos of the radar off of the walls of the tunnel and the same for the ultrasonics. It will get confused to the point where there is not enough input for it to safely make a determination (loss of RADAR and ultrasonics due to the echos leaves only the camera, which would not be an accurate input for ranging the car in front). At that point the safest thing is to give control back to the driver.

This is just a theory. A very plausible theory, however.

I would vote for the GPS or camera theory.

Radar is shot forward in a narrow beam, and it would be highly unlikely that it would bounce around the tunnel to come right back and confuse the vehicle.

Is this in every tunnel? Have you tried driving when there is less traffic? Have you tried driving in a wider tunnel?

The frequency for cop radars are different from TACC radars. Frequencies are very well regulated, and radar manufacturers agree on certain frequencies to avoid such interference.

I don't believe the TACC checks the blind spots though, so it may just be relying on front-facing instruments (radar and camera).

Cheers,
You You

For the record, I drove through several tunnels with TACC active yesterday, and it performed without issue in all of them. So it looks like this issue has been fixed in a recent software update.

Same here. Went through a 1mile tunnel 2 times last weekend, on auto-pilot, in a traffic jam. Worked A1. It was a 3 lanes tunnel on the south shore of Montreal.

I'm betting it's radar reflections, which the system deems unreliable. My TACc disengaged over the weekend when I got boxed in by two trucks on the left and right side. Whatever the car "saw" it didn't like and returned control to the driver.

Thats how these things work. You're still the driver.

TACC worked fine in the Fort McHenry Tunnel and the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel on my last couple of trips. The very first one I made through there (very first TACC firmware) it cut out near the end of the tunnel and came back a few miles later. No issues since though.

Went through the Ft. McHenry tunnel day before yesterday and mine disabled near the end of the tunnel as well. Came back on a few miles later.

A few days earlier I had gone through the I-895 tunnel and it did not deactivate.

I speculated the forward facing radar is just getting overwhelmed with the returns off all the close quarter walls but I dunno...

Mike