Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opti-guard for Leather - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen one or two people mention Opti-Guard for their leather, otherwise I didn't even know this existed. Worth it? I'm going to have the grey leather, so I want to do whatever is necessary to keep them clean. At the same time, I have no problem applying the correct products annually to keep up with it myself as I do now.

Anyone that has had it done - what was the cost if I may ask?

I got it for my tan leather. I've only had it two months, but it did make getting the dye transfer from jeans and general dirt easier to get off (just cleaned the car yesterday so it's fresh in my mind)-- not a complete breeze, but easier. My detailer did mention that the seats have to be super clean before the coating is put on.

I don't have any coating, and wear raw denim basically every day on my tan seats, so they got a nice shade of blue after a few months.

I expected this (I wear jeans a lot, but the tan seats looked the best), and assumed that they'd be permanently stained, but I tried wiping them off with a microfibre cloth with warm water and it came right off. They look like new again.

Not sure it's worth it. I had it done, but got bad color transfer from my belt that I can't get off. I had the same problem in my Acura with the same difficulty removing. Maybe I'm buying the wrong belts! I can say that jeans transfer comes right off. But it also did in my Acura.

Without. My DS told me the seats are made to be cleaned with only damp microfiber.

Is that because your DS is a pro detailer? :) Tesla leather is coated like many other leathers on the market. If you clean it often enough, a damp MF might be enough. If you dont a specialized leather cleaner may be required. Best thing you can do for your leather seats is to vac with a brush attachment, pay special attention to the seams where all the dirt likes to hide. Your moving around in the seat will cause the dirt to abrade the leather, which causes excessive wear of the leather.