Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shamrock Texas Supercharger at Route 66 icon "U-Drop Inn" underway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

reddy

Jan 26, 2013
Amarillo, TX
Supercharger - Shamrock TX at Route 66 icon "U-Drop Inn" underway

I just had confirmation from folks in Shamrock, TX that construction is underway at the famous Route 66 icon "U-Drop Inn"

They even featured U-Drop Inn in the Pixar classic "Cars"

U-Drop Inn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM27K2_Conoco_Tower_and_U_Drop_Inn_Cars_Shamrock_TX

Furthermore, they tell me that they hope to be complete by Shamrock's famous St Patrick's Day Parade and festivities.

Perhaps we can have a Tesla meetup for the holiday, if true ? I will try to get some photos next weekend.

Last edited:
That's going to be a lonely Supercharger site for a while; might be hard for most people to get there.

Well, they have the lease agreed, but that doesn't mean they'll build right now. But, even if they built early, I'm sure there are some adventurous Tesla owners who'd enjoy the reduction in RV-park charging time. And it would connect Amarillo and OKC, at the very least for 85s. Somebody always benefits from a Supercharger.

Well, they have the lease agreed, but that doesn't mean they'll build right now. But, even if they built early, I'm sure there are some adventurous Tesla owners who'd enjoy the reduction in RV-park charging time. And it would connect Amarillo and OKC, at the very least for 85s. Somebody always benefits from a Supercharger.

Also, Shamrock is only 156 miles from a CHAdeMO in OKC: ATC Drivetrain North | Oklahoma City, OK | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

As the CHAdeMO adapter gets deployed, that should help.

Also @reddy, great sleuthing finding this location, and an opening for the St Patrick's Day Parade would be great!

Last edited:
I just had confirmation from folks in Shamrock, TX that construction is underway at the famous Route 66 icon "U-Drop Inn"

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM27K2_Conoco_Tower_and_U_Drop_Inn_Cars_Shamrock_TX

Furthermore, they tell me that they hope to be complete by Shamrock's famous St Patrick's Day Parade and festivities.

Perhaps we can have a Tesla meetup for the holiday, if true ? I will try to get some photos next weekend.

I contacted them over the weekend. Here is the reply:

"From: Erica B <snipped>
Date: February 9, 2015 at 3:55:15 AM CST
To: reddy
Subject: Shamrock EDC: Tesla supercharger site
William, this e-mail got re-routed to me by mistake, but Larry responded to you earlier today, so I wanted to forward his response to you while I fix our e-mail system. We’re so excited for this amazing addition at the U-Drop Inn!

Thanks,
Erica aka the Web Designer"

"Construction is in the process right now & yes, it is scheduled to be operational by St. Patrick's Day.

Thanks"

From those two posts, it looks like a Supercharger is under construction at the U Drop Cafe, East 12th Street, Shamrock, TX; U Drop Cafe, Shamrock, TX - Google Maps

That is wonderful news!

Supercharger planned for Tesla Museum at Wardenclyffe ... Check!
U-Drop Inn on Rte. 66 ... Check!
Cadillac Ranch ... Pleeeeeeeze?

Cadillac Ranch, IMO would not be the best place for actual users, although I like the thought.

It is in between exits, and westbound traffic would need to double back about 1/2 mile before they can charge. The biggest factor is that there is absolutely no electrical service there. It is on a ranch! They would need to bring in power from 1/2 mile away which would be really expensive.

I've got my eyes open for a site. Given that Tucumcari and Shamrock are in progress, I am wondering if Tesla located outside Amarillo city limits, so that I can't see a permit.

Last edited:
Cadillac Ranch, IMO would not be the best place for actual users, although I like the thought.
Oh, I realize the logistics would be sub-optimal, and the infrastructure horrendous.

It was more of a daydream of "where would be the most awesome Tesla Photo Op sites" and imagined filling up against a backdrop of the buried Caddies...

But I've got Photoshop to make that image happen. :)

Tesla at Cadillac ranch.jpg

Eat your heart out.....

The biggest factor is that there is absolutely no electrical service there. It is on a ranch! They would need to bring in power from 1/2 mile away which would be really expensive.

It would be a great place to showcase Solar City's power generating capability, to bring car charging, lights and perhaps a rest stop/restaurant all powered by solar panels.

(of course for a restaurant you would need water supply etc.)

The solar panels pictured along with the buried Cadillacs might make for the kind of cool photo-op that has been suggested :)

It would be a great place to showcase Solar City's power generating capability, to bring car charging, lights and perhaps a rest stop/restaurant all powered by solar panels.

(of course for a restaurant you would need water supply etc.)

The solar panels pictured along with the buried Cadillacs might make for the kind of cool photo-op that has been suggested :)

All great ideas, but I would use windmills instead of solar, or perhaps in addition to solar. We have incredible wind energy here that is untapped.

Tim Cook is talking up Apple's environmental initiatives: "We know at Apple that climate change is real," Cook said. "The time for action is now."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-cook-goldman-sachs-conerence-2015-2#ixzz3RZ11EZkD

:biggrin:
I'm just lovin' it! I'm sure many, many people are listening when Apple Computer's Tim Cook speaks!! "The time for action is NOW!!"

Certainly... wind, solar, geothermal, battery storage..... TESLA MODEL S!! Bring on the future...... I can't wait!! I love my solar and my MS! Life's great!

It all just seems to make sense! .... and saves a bundle of $$$ too.! > 43,000 mpzg; zero gallons!!! so far; all on solar!

Now that's what I'm talking' 'bout!
:cool:

:for Tesla owners.... new acronym mpzg = miles per zero gallons.

Last edited:

We have reservations in Shamrock for Saturday, March 14th and hope to see other Tesla owners. We are on our way to Phoenix but only need to travel to Amarillo on Sunday and therefore expect to find a Irish pub on Saturday night and have a pint or two
:smile:

Tim Cook is talking up Apple's environmental initiatives: "We know at Apple that climate change is real," Cook said. "The time for action is now."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-cook-goldman-sachs-conerence-2015-2#ixzz3RZ11EZkD

:biggrin:
I'm just lovin' it! I'm sure many, many people are listening when Apple Computer's Tim Cook speaks!! "The time for action is NOW!!"

Certainly... wind, solar, geothermal, battery storage..... TESLA MODEL S!! Bring on the future...... I can't wait!! I love my solar and my MS! Life's great!

It all just seems to make sense! .... and saves a bundle of $$$ too.! > 43,000 mpzg; zero gallons!!! so far; all on solar!

Now that's what I'm talking' 'bout!
:cool:

:for Tesla owners.... new acronym mpzg = miles per zero gallons.
That's all well and good, but the upfront cost is too prohibitive for most. Bring on the 3...

I'm in Shamrock right now, and found an incredibly friendly crew installing the supercharger here.

They expect to be done around Wednesday, Feb 18 but it may not be officially commissioned until the 23rd, since they have to erect a fence around the electrical equipment.

Capacity here will be 6 cars.

I've got lots of photos to share, will post them when I get back to Amarillo.