Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Textile seats - Scotchgard ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got little kids, and a car arriving shortly with the Textile interior. I'm definitely putting Car Seat Protectors under their car seats, but I'm still concerned about them smushing food or other crap into the weave of the fabric.

Would a Scotchgard spray be a good idea for this fabric? Has anyone applied it?

The other idea I had was to use a whole seat cover like Wet Okole or something similar under they're old enough to be trusted (so 20-30 years from now)

Can Scotchgard be sprayed on the plasticy-leather-like inserts present in various parts of the seats? If not you're going to have a fun time masking all of those off.

Spilled water beads up already on mine. You might not even need it. Scotchgard isn't going to help much with smooshed food, it's mainly a water and stain repellent.

I spilled a bottle drink on mine once. It did not soak into the fabric. I ran got a cup and dipped it up, then got a wet towel and soaked the rest up. I cannot see any stain or notice anything now. They look like new still. I am glad I purchased the textile.

I had mine scotch guarded. They had to tape up the pleather parts and just get the fabric. Had everything including the jump seats done. I've so far in 15 months never spilled anything but it's nice knowing that they're protected. I was told that it would repel stains but I don't think smooshed food would actually count.

We used to have one of these, then my wife got scared that it reduces the effectiveness of the seat since there's now a slippery layer underneath :/
To each his or her own, but I'm not relying on the friction of the seat material to keep my kids' seats in place - I'm trusting the metal anchors they clip into that are ostensibly attached to the vehicle's frame.

Reactions: vrykolas
We used to have one of these, then my wife got scared that it reduces the effectiveness of the seat since there's now a slippery layer underneath :/
I hope you're not counting on friction with the seat to prevent a carseat from moving in an accident! :scared: :wink:

You could always go with something a big more "sticky," though you lose the all-over protection of the giant one eco posted.
Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver, Black: Baby

Can Scotchgard be sprayed on the plasticy-leather-like inserts present in various parts of the seats? If not you're going to have a fun time masking all of those off.

Spilled water beads up already on mine. You might not even need it. Scotchgard isn't going to help much with smooshed food, it's mainly a water and stain repellent.
My main concern is smooshed food. How have your textiles held up over time with the little ones, @Gizmotoy ?

My main concern is smooshed food. How have your textiles held up over time with the little ones, @Gizmotoy ?
My 3 year old only eats in the car on rare occasions (basically only road trips), so I can't comment definitively on that concern. I think wet smashed food could be a problem. Smashed Cheerios and the like vacuum up just fine, though. Splashes of milk also seem to clean up well.

I have noticed the start of some wear on my driver's seat after 4 years. Mainly right in the center where the two halves of the seat bottom are stitched together. Nothing major yet, but it looks like that's the weak spot. With the exception of that, the seats look brand new. They've held up exceptionally well.

Reactions: DIL