Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Tinting? And some thoughts on energy efficiency

Did you tint your windows?

• Yes

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
First, I'm wondering if you had your windows tinted, hence, the poll.

Second, I'd like to hear thoughts on tinting vs. energy efficiency.
I live in Colorado where it's very sunny, but cold for part of the year. Heating requires significantly more energy than A/C in the Tesla, due to the greater difference between room temperature and outside temperature, correct?
From an energy/range conservation perspective, would it make sense NOT to tint in a climate like mine, so that I wouldn't need to run the heater much during winter?

I would tint anyway, if I were you. A good tint can reeally make summer much more bearable.

The heated seats do a great job, so you shouldn't need to run the heater too much. It was zero degrees F here recently (and nighttime so non-tinted windows wouldn't have helped). I did some short bursts of the heater maybe once every 20 minutes, + heated seats. I recently put a sheepskin cover on the steering wheel (love it!) and I just make sure to dress appropriately for the weather. I also keep a warm blanket in the car, but that's just cus I like being cozy.

There's other reasons people like tinting their windows though, not just energy efficiency. I love the extra privacy they give, and the aesthetics of dark windows with a white car.

First, I'm wondering if you had your windows tinted, hence, the poll.

Second, I'd like to hear thoughts on tinting vs. energy efficiency.
I live in Colorado where it's very sunny, but cold for part of the year. Heating requires significantly more energy than A/C in the Tesla, due to the greater difference between room temperature and outside temperature, correct?
From an energy/range conservation perspective, would it make sense NOT to tint in a climate like mine, so that I wouldn't need to run the heater much during winter?

There is also the benefit with better insulation for winter months as glass is a poor insulator. Some of the best window films will help retain in-cabin temperature - great for summer and winter months as you would use the AC system less.

Winter, what's winter? :smile: 'm not sure how the tint affects interior temps in the wintertime. I'd assume it'd help keep heat in during the daytime. It definitely helps keep the heat out during the summer. So it should also do the opposite. I'm getting my windshield tinted soon. I should've done it when I had the rest of the car tinted.

I used to tint every car I had but I've stopped for a few reasons. I think new cars look great tinted, but the older they get the cheaper it makes the car look. Over the course of perhaps 2-5 years it goes from looking great to looking like that 50 yr old woman who'e trying to look 20. Talk to a Porsche or Mercedes dealer, the first thing they do when they take a lease back or a car on trade is remove the tint. It ages a middle aged car.

I also had a bad experience tinting a car with frameless windows like the Tesla, they threw the glass alignment off and it literally was never right again. Only the factory or a very skilled tech can get these widows set exactly perfect, the adjustment is extremely precise. Other reasons, yes it may cut down on heat...but I park in my garage and have covered parking at work. Don't need it. Makes it tough to back up/see out at night, they get scratched when people wash your car, and most importantly Tesla tinted the glass just right in my opinion. I actually really like the factory tint and it will look good forever.

Again these are personal opinions, each to his own, just thought I would offer a contrary and definitely a minority opinion around here.

SoCal coast temperature expected to reach mid-80s this week (mid-February). Interior temperature *with tint* will exceed 100F.

Fast forward to summer. Yeah, tint is pretty much a necessity. For bonus points, add a sun/heatshield for the windshield and the pano pieces. Or just become nocturnal.

Last edited:
I bought a net-zero-energy house last year. The builder explained that the windows are double rather than triple-paned because the marginal heat loss was less than the marginal loss of solar gain. And with an EV, as Barry noted, heating takes more energy than AC so you might be able to balance the seasons out a little if you don't tint.

I have tinted hybrids in the past (they have waste heat in winter so the considerations are different), but I have not tinted my EVs.

Of course, it obviously depends on where you live; some owners never run the heater. And as Premier Mobile noted, auto glass is no double-paned home window, so your car may not be at the same marginal case yet. (Although I have been pleasantly surprised at how long the Model S cabin retains heat after you turn the HVAC off in cold weather. Not so with the Roadster).

So no definitive answer, just more to think about...

I used to tint every car I had but I've stopped for a few reasons. I think new cars look great tinted, but the older they get the cheaper it makes the car look. Over the course of perhaps 2-5 years it goes from looking great to looking like that 50 yr old woman who'e trying to look 20. Talk to a Porsche or Mercedes dealer, the first thing they do when they take a lease back or a car on trade is remove the tint. It ages a middle aged car.

I also had a bad experience tinting a car with frameless windows like the Tesla, they threw the glass alignment off and it literally was never right again. Only the factory or a very skilled tech can get these widows set exactly perfect, the adjustment is extremely precise. Other reasons, yes it may cut down on heat...but I park in my garage and have covered parking at work. Don't need it. Makes it tough to back up/see out at night, they get scratched when people wash your car, and most importantly Tesla tinted the glass just right in my opinion. I actually really like the factory tint and it will look good forever.

Again these are personal opinions, each to his own, just thought I would offer a contrary and definitely a minority opinion around here.

The current technology of window film goes very far today in terms of heat rejection and clarity. You can easily stay at a 65%-75% shade with a product like Spectra PhotoSync and it can outperform just about anything out there. For comparison purposes, the factory glass on the Tesla is 75%.

As for glass alignment being off, most window tinters do not remove the windows so the windows do not get off track. If a tinter needs to remove the glass to get the work done, then it is best to go with another company.

Here's a video we conducted some time ago to test PhotoSync to even limo tint and you can clearly see the technology behind it:

Last edited by a moderator: