Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Actual Range...I am getting much less

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to start a discussion to see if it is just my car, or if others are having the same experience. I am in a little different situation as I own both a P85 and a MS 60. We have owned the 60 for just under 2 years and have driven it almost 50k miles. When on the highway with the 60 my Wh/mi generally is between 300 and 330 at highway speeds, (70mph +/-) Driving the P85 at about the same conditions the lowest Wh/Mi I have gotten is somewhere around 350. Recently took it on a trip to Orlando and back roughly 500 miles total and the average was about 365 Wh/mi and I was getting about 85% of the RR. When I drove the MS60 round trip to Ma in the fall I was averaging around 310 wh/mi and got about 90-95% of the RR. So in summary, while the P85 does have a bigger battery, I am sensing that because of some inefficiencies it may only be capable of delivering 85% of the RR and when making trips I really need to take that into account. For example, from Ft Drum to my house it is 142 miles, but we started with 180 RR and ended up with only 19 RR miles left. The average speed was 73mph, temp in the mid 70s and little wind. Thoughts?

I'm on a P85+ and you guys are lucky with 300-350wh/m, right now I'm averaging 450-550wh/m in this beautiful New England weather :)

I got my car in September, so very little driving before the temperatures started dropping, but I was averaging 330-350wh/m before the winter. I'd have to wait for the summer since all firmwares were released in last couple of months.

I'm on a P85+ and you guys are lucky with 300-350wh/m, right now I'm averaging 450-550wh/m in this beautiful New England weather :)

I'm with ya there @skboston -- here in Cleveland, Ohio we have same weather as you. My average over last 2,000+ miles is around 430 wh/m ... with my "worst" trips being in the same 500-550 range you see. Today is nice though, over 45-deg-F right now -- should be a good day today for driving. I can't wait for summer wheels/tires and temps to get back down to see the first # be a 3 instead of a 4 ... LOL

To OP: wh/mi in Florida sounds a bit high, I've averaged 330 life to date in Chicago. But I seldom drive, much less average, 75mph. Agree checking alignment good idea. I've also seen slight improvement with 6.1. Also slow down 5 to 10 mph in situations you need to preserve. Also agree range mode helps a bit with neglible hvac effect.

Recently took it on a trip to Orlando and back roughly 500 miles total and the average was about 365 Wh/mi and I was getting about 85% of the RR. When I drove the MS60 round trip to Ma in the fall I was averaging around 310 wh/mi and got about 90-95% of the RR.

Few thoughts here. First of all this is obviously not the same conditions. It's pretty easy for wind conditions to change your efficiency pretty dramatically.

Beyond that the ranted range of a P85 is just the rated range of an S85. There was no separate testing on this. You should expect to get a little less of the rated range out of a P85. Based on your signature though you don't have the biggest difference from the tested range. The rated range was tested with the 19" wheels, and a lot of P85s have 21" wheels. So I'm inclined to believe this is probably mostly differences in the conditions.

Mnlevin, you don't mention which wheels (19 or 21) and tires (Goodyear, Michelin, or Continental) you currently have on each car. These factors make a big difference.

The MS 60 weighs less than the 85, so it will always be more efficient, all other equipment being equal.

I have 17k miles on a P+ and average 350, have never seen 300 on trips and average 75ish. I love the car however the range is not close to what I expected. I know 21s are not as efficient however when upgrading to the + it was if I recall suppose to add 5-10 miles of range, and 19s weren't even available. I am a little disappointed that 19s were allowed on the p85d after people complained about having to order 21s when we weren't given the option.

Yes I will have the alignment checked, but I don't think that is the issue. The reason is that I bought the car with 16510 miles on it and immediately replaced the existing 21 tires with new 19 Michelin, like OEM tires I have on the MS60. Those tires have been awesome. The front tires are still going with over 45k miles on them. I had to replace the back tires on the MS60 due to alignment problem at 22k miles. It shows that if properly aligned, those tires could go 40-50k miles easy. I changed to the 19s because I wanted better efficiency and also didn't like the ride of the 21s and didn't want to replace tires every 12-15k miles. All that said, I have tried to monitor the P85 against what we have had on the 60. I drive the P85 every day now, and my wife has the MS60. All this is just an observation of driving the MS60 for 18 months and taking a few Supercharging Trips including round trip from Fla to Ma in the fall and just cannot get the power down under 325 wh/mi on this car. Also have adjusted the suspension to lower at 55 mph.

normal for a P85. near impossible for me to get below 350Wh/mi. and yes I have great alignment (first set of tires lasted almost 48k, second set of tires now at 15k miles and looking great)...see life time trip meters on photo. fyi I reset 'A' on my second set of tires:

522085111f794e480a4874612487b77b.jpg

Dont worry ... Im down the street and 350 is pretty standard on the highway.

I can get down to 290-320 when getting around town on side roads with no a/c ... but otherwise, your noted wh/mi sounds typical.

FWIW ... Its my belief that lowering is the root cause of the inside tire wear on the rear. I no longer allow the car to lower.

edited: I accidentally said the 60 would need more energy. Of course that was a mistake, I wanted to write 'less'.

The 60 will always need less energy than the 85 because it has a smaller batter and is lighter. It makes a difference not only when you have elevation changes but every acceleration takes more energy. So it's normal to see a difference between those cars.
As for what a typical energy usage is, that varies so much with driving style and weather conditions. Here in Southern California, we almost always have great conditions. My car has never seen snow or even much rain. Temperatures are ideal for battery performance. My lifetime average is 317 Wh/mile and that's including a lot of fast highway trips. But a lot of it is drive style. I hardly touch my brakes. I look ahead and adjust speed so I don't need the brakes.

Last edited:
David, I agree on all points, we are in S Florida. and even when I took the Mass trip, it was up in Aug and down in Oct so no real heater needs. I think you missed the mark on your first statement though. Getting around my 60 uses a lot less energy. We don't jack rabbit it and I use regen all the time, rarely touch the brakes. Again, just noting that it is very hard to get the P85 to burn less energy, even with smooth starts. I do a lot of expressway driving all over S Fla. So I am running between 65-75 mph on the hwy. I am going to check the alignment, air pressure in the tires and speak to the techs at TESLA to see if they have any recommendations. It would be nice to get somewhere near the RR on a trip.

I think there's an issue with mine.

While I admit to requiring more Wh/mi in the winter, I average about 600-700 Wh/mi at times -- usually in the 500 range if it's below freezing. I saw a 2400 Wh/mi earlier today. I'm a fairly conservative driver. I have about 9900 miles on my car after two years and have lost about 10% of my battery charge.

I have my 2nd annual service coming up, so hopefully that will sort out this issue.

I think there's an issue with mine.

While I admit to requiring more Wh/mi in the winter, I average about 600-700 Wh/mi at times -- usually in the 500 range if it's below freezing. I saw a 2400 Wh/mi earlier today. I'm a fairly conservative driver. I have about 9900 miles on my car after two years and have lost about 10% of my battery charge.

I have my 2nd annual service coming up, so hopefully that will sort out this issue.

Kevin nothing is wrong with yours, I regularly see over 700+ wh/m, especially when temperatures are below 20's and the car isn't pre-heated for example. It usually drops to 450-550 when the regenerative breaking restriction disappears from the dash. I've seen as much as 1700wh/m in the first 1/2 mile.
Snow, outside temperature, heating and speed in such conditions are all big enemies on the range.

I've had an instance driving with 65MPH behind a truck where I ended up with 268wh/m for a 60 miles trip during the fall, otherwise if I drive like a turtle on the highway at 55-65MPH, I get 310-330wh/m with A/C on.
I have trouble understanding how people end up with such low numbers, but then again my foot is heavy, so I know it's me not them :)