Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can I disable the adaptive (Traffic-Aware Cruise [Good God!!]) part of the cruise control?

Seriously, I would like to know your reason for wanting to do that.
My S doesn't have the TACC but it sounds like a nice feature.

As noted above I do not think you can, @EriCal -- it is a bummer for now. My car lacks TACC but I can see reasons to disable it (directing that comment @ecarfan)

You'd wonder why to disable it-- and for the OP who is in SoCal I'd say prob not necessary. However, here in Ohio the problem often comes from weather. I've been known to use the cruise even in light snow or rain. However, my past cars have had issues with adaptive cruise when inclement weather occurs. I've even had the same issues during the autumn here, when leaves are flying around in the air heavily. There are times where I've wanted to use cruise in my Audi/BMW vehicles and in those cars (at least my more recent Audi) had the ability to disable this feature IIRC.

Anyhow... seeing as how Tesla is so oriented into features, I'd think they might allow this to be turned on/off. As best I remember my Audi even let you turn off the crash assist if you really wanted to. It isn't like having those features on the car is a necessity etc.... so it would be nice of Tesla to offer more granular adjustability to the settings, IMO....

I used it for a couple of days with a loaner I had when my 2013 S85 was in for service. It was pretty awesome I must say. Stop and go traffic and I didn't have to put my foot on the brake or the gas. There were a couple of issue I noticed when going up or down a hill where it wouldn't necessarily track the car in front of you but I think that just needs to be tweaked. I'm very jealous and looking forward to my next Tesla...

As noted above I do not think you can, @EriCal -- it is a bummer for now. My car lacks TACC but I can see reasons to disable it (directing that comment @ecarfan)

You'd wonder why to disable it-- and for the OP who is in SoCal I'd say prob not necessary. However, here in Ohio the problem often comes from weather. I've been known to use the cruise even in light snow or rain. However, my past cars have had issues with adaptive cruise when inclement weather occurs. I've even had the same issues during the autumn here, when leaves are flying around in the air heavily. There are times where I've wanted to use cruise in my Audi/BMW vehicles and in those cars (at least my more recent Audi) had the ability to disable this feature IIRC.

Anyhow... seeing as how Tesla is so oriented into features, I'd think they might allow this to be turned on/off. As best I remember my Audi even let you turn off the crash assist if you really wanted to. It isn't like having those features on the car is a necessity etc.... so it would be nice of Tesla to offer more granular adjustability to the settings, IMO....

This has been discussed extensively in other threads, but as far as anyone could remember ALL cruise controls, including the TACC, state in the directions that they are unsafe to use in inclement weather conditions. Having a toggle to turn it into a regular cruise control so that you can use it in the snow is not really valid.

The other point that has been made against the toggle is that the driver may forget what mode they are in and expect the car to slow itself in traffic, and it would not.

This has been discussed extensively in other threads, but as far as anyone could remember ALL cruise controls, including the TACC, state in the directions that they are unsafe to use in inclement weather conditions. Having a toggle to turn it into a regular cruise control so that you can use it in the snow is not really valid.

The other point that has been made against the toggle is that the driver may forget what mode they are in and expect the car to slow itself in traffic, and it would not.

Yes I've read those threads. I don't think fall foliage constitutes inclement weather. Nor would a plastic bag flying across my dash. Or any other item which might trigger the sensors. How about sand storms in Saudi Arabia? I've heard from friends who have travelled to Dubai/UAE that adaptive cruise systems there can false from sand. Would that be what the mfg intended? I would guess not, and still argue a disable option should be in place. If zee Germans can do it, so can silicone valley. Just my two cents. I'm not saying disable crash ( though funny enough isn't that something you actually can disable? I don't have a new enough car to know ) -- to each their own.

I have a BWM i3 as well as a Sig Model S. The i3 has adaptive cruise and you can disable it if you need to. There are certain driving situations where having a standard cruise control (non-adaptive) is preferable and it's nice to be able to decide when I want my i3 Cruise Control to be adaptive or non-adaptive. If Tesla hasn't implemented an adaptive/non-adaptive toggle, they should consider having that toggle available in the future.

I have a BWM i3 as well as a Sig Model S. The i3 has adaptive cruise and you can disable it if you need to. There are certain driving situations where having a standard cruise control (non-adaptive) is preferable and it's nice to be able to decide when I want my i3 Cruise Control to be adaptive or non-adaptive. If Tesla hasn't implemented an adaptive/non-adaptive toggle, they should consider having that toggle available in the future.

Does the i3 come to a complete stop on ACC? Just curious.

Does the i3 come to a complete stop on ACC? Just curious.
Yes, the i3 will come to a complete stop using regen or friction brakes under ACC. And it will start up again without driver input up to 2 seconds after stopping. After two seconds a press on the accelerator pedal or the "resume" button is required to get the car moving under ACC again.

Yes, the i3 will come to a complete stop using regen or friction brakes under ACC. And it will start up again without driver input up to 2 seconds after stopping. After two seconds a press on the accelerator pedal or the "resume" button is required to get the car moving under ACC again.

The TACC on the Model S with sensors works the same way... There is a status symbol on the speedometer that shows the mode (cruise at speed, traffic slowed cruise, hold).

Honestly speaking, I would be totally cool if you try to engage TACC and it complains and says "Unable to engage TACC due to obstructed radar, press and hold cruise button to enable traditional cruise". Then you hold for five or ten seconds to enable traditional CC. Anytime you re-engage cruise, you would have to press and hold again if TACC was unavailable. So each time, you are acknowledging it with the driver rather than a toggle that one could forget about.