Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in Watts/mile with wider aftermarker wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the inner side tread wear on a 285 tire? I can't believe how much better my 245 snow tires wear compared to the 265 PS2s. I'm sure part of it is the rubber compound, but I wonder how much is the width? Thoughts?

How is the inner side tread wear on a 285 tire? I can't believe how much better my 245 snow tires wear compared to the 265 PS2s. I'm sure part of it is the rubber compound, but I wonder how much is the width? Thoughts?

Did you do an alignment when you put on the winter tires?

Whether you did or not, it's pretty obvious that at a given amount of camber angle the difference between the inside and outside edges of the tire will be more with a wider tire, which will emphasize any misalignment (particularly toe). In addition, the 19" winter tires have a much higher sidewall and winter tires will have a much more flexible carcass ply and belt structure than summer performance tires. The more sidewall height there is, the less sensitive the tire will be to toe combined with camber. My opinion is that the "rubber band on a wheel" that the tire, wheel, and car manufacturers want to provide is the most costly and silly bit of fashion that's ever affected car design. It's great for their profits and bad for everything else.

You can run a rotatable setup with 245/40R/20 in the front and rear. This should extend your tread life longer than a staggered setup. Running a 285 in the rear optimizes grip, handling, and looks awesome on the car.