Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in heavy rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't ever driven my Roadster in heavy rain. Besides the drop in already low visibility, does anyone have experience with other issues such as braking performance?
Thanks.

I found braking to be horrible, really dangerous in the rain when your pads/rotors are wet. It really takes some time for the brake pad to dry off and put down a good layer of brake material on the surface of the rotor. So give your self some ample space between cars.

Before you anticipate a stop you can ride the brakes lightly to help them out.

Even with the CarboTech's the wet weather braking is underpar hence the push for the custom rotors. We'll see how they'll perform once on. Hopefully the double metal treatment and slotted design will give us improved results.

Yes, tires make a big difference working with ABS in the rain. The AD07 front/ AD08 Rear have been an excellent combination for wet weather handling.

I am running the AD07's all round. I tried to go with the AO48's, but as my car is a daily driver, I couldn't accept the poor handling of the 48's in the wet weather.

Agree, the Carbotech's are far from perfect in the rain, but they are better than the stock pads imo.

Even with the CarboTech's the wet weather braking is underpar hence the push for the custom rotors. We'll see how they'll perform once on. Hopefully the double metal treatment and slotted design will give us improved results.

Yes, tires make a big difference working with ABS in the rain. The AD07 front/ AD08 Rear have been an excellent combination for wet weather handling.

The original AD07 tires were not very good in the rain (I've heard the AD08 are better but haven't tried them); I would very regularly see the TC light while accelerating, and going sharply around a corner I could sometimes feel the car slide a bit, especially if I hit painted lines. A pair of Proxes 4s were - surprisingly to me - no better. But then I switched to Continental DWS (I think it was dhrivnak's suggestion in another long-ago thread) and they are MUCH better. I'm on my second pair now; I regularly floor it in the rain and almost never see the TC light come on. (I've rarely had occasion to do heavy braking in the rain; I don't recall any specific problems with any of the tires, but I assume acceleration and braking traction are similar).

My Roadster has intermittently had a small leak. It comes from the corner where the passenger window, A-pillar and roof meet. It drips on to the passenger door sill. It was somewhat regular at first (though never high volume) so I had Tesla look at it; they said the door seal was partly squished and gave me a new one. It has been much better since, but every now and then I still get a few drops. It's funny as it can sit in heavy rain for hours and be bone dry, and I can drive 100 miles and it's still bone dry...and then suddenly for 4 minutes I'll get one drip every 10 seconds...and then it stops again. It happens with both the hard top and the soft top, and I've tried adjusting the window but no change. I can't see anything that looks wrong. Well, it's a small amount and happens infrequently enough that I just keep a small towel behind the seat.

When I was daily driving the car I had AD07 front AD08 rear. I also have Carbotech brake pads (essential IMHO). Was pretty happy with traction performance.

One thing that people haven't mentioned... in heavy rain your driving range will be reduced.

One thing that people haven't mentioned... in heavy rain your driving range will be reduced.

Actually mine goes up, at least here in California. When it rains people drive like its black-ice.... Drives me nuts.

Rained on my commute home, crept home between 10mph and 30mph in a 50-65 zone on a double lane highway. When home I had gained 5 more miles than usual. And it wasn't even a downpour.

My Roadster has intermittently had a small leak. It comes from the corner where the passenger window, A-pillar and roof meet.

This is the spot where, as a service tech once showed me, the little flap of rubber on the A-pillar side can be stuck under the rubber from the roof support, which causes a leak:

bad.jpg
good.jpg

This usually happens when putting on the soft top as the side support is rotated down.

This is the spot where, as a service tech once showed me, the little flap of rubber on the A-pillar side can be stuck under the rubber from the roof support, which causes a leak:

View attachment 71589View attachment 71590

This usually happens when putting on the soft top as the side support is rotated down.

I've been having rain entering lately, your post made get up and go outside and check the car for this!
I think mine has somewhat of a different design?
Capture2.png

Last edited:
Anyone discussed custom rotors with Adams Rotors? Drilled, slotted rotors may be the way to go.
Unfortunately, we are dealing with constraints such as the rotor diameter being pretty small and the additional
weight of the battery relative to a Lotus.
I would worry that the TC may not be programmed to deal with panic stops when switching out the rotors for
an aggressive slotted, drilled design.

We've got a set of rotors being made at this moment. Slotted design which should help with the heavier weight of the Roadster due to the ESS as well as for wiping the pad clean when wet/dry. We're adding the same metal treatment (FNC) that the Chevy Volt uses for the cast rotor disc which has been noted to improve wet weather braking and limit rust/corrosion of the rotor surface. A second metal treatment (black oxide) will be applied to the final layer giving even more durability and a protective layer for the FNC treatment. Its under the "Last Call" thread.

TC will always trigger if you "hammer" the brakes, even with the stock setup. I trigger it many times when I need to brake and bite hard, doesn't stay on long so its minimal. If TC is off and you know you're braking fast/hard, then its a moot issue. Upgrading the rotors won't have an effect other than to stop you faster when it does kick on when TC cuts out momentarily. And lastly I can't say how much I hate drilled rotors, can't wait to pull mine off and set them in storage.