Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stiffer Sport Mode steering after latest upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just recently got the latest 6.1xxx upgrade, and now notice that the sport mode steering is much stiffer when the car wakes up. Sometimes it seems to take a minute or so of driving for it to go back to the effort of the original sport mode feeling. Coincidence, or has something started going on with the steering?

Just recently got the latest 6.1xxx upgrade, and now notice that the sport mode steering is much stiffer when the car wakes up. Sometimes it seems to take a minute or so of driving for it to go back to the effort of the original sport mode feeling. Coincidence, or has something started going on with the steering?

There is a bug that was documented here at TMC with regard to sport steering being difficult or impossible to steer once you move the wheel all the way to one side or the other. It's almost like the wheel is stuck or has lost power assist. This is a bug introduced with some of the newer updates and will be resolved. The solution is to use one of the other two modes in the meantime.

There is a bug that was documented here at TMC with regard to sport steering being difficult or impossible to steer once you move the wheel all the way to one side or the other. It's almost like the wheel is stuck or has lost power assist. This is a bug introduced with some of the newer updates and will be resolved. The solution is to use one of the other two modes in the meantime.

Thanks for the info. That explains why steering while parallel parking has felt wrong lately. That's probably the only time I turn all the way to either side, so that's when I noticed the steering got very difficult.

I usually drive in Comfort and I think it feels stiffer too, not just at highway speeds but very low speeds as well.
Same here. I hate the new steering feel. It was really nice to be able to easily turn the steering wheel. It's almost like the new comfort is the old normal. Kinda sucks.

I have been asking for speed-sensitive steering for a while and I'm glad they finally implemented the feature.

Next up, speed sensitive volume. Especially for us that aren't in freezing temps and like to have our windows down. Sorry y'all up north.

I actually thought this was a bug (I'm on ver .115) and sent an email to a Tesla. Here is the response:

"An expected behavior of your Model S is that when it is stopped or moving very slowly, and the steering wheel is turn greater than 75% with Sport steering, there will be significant resistance when turning the wheel. The level of resistance is most commonly correlated to the speed of the vehicle. Slower speeds have higher resistance, higher speeds have less resistance. Please try adjusting your power steering mode from Sport to Standard, and then monitor the concern to see if It persists.

If there are any other problems with the steering that fall outside of these parameters please let us know and we will escalate this concern to your local service center."

That sounds like the opposite of what I want in speed sensitive steering, which would be (old) comfort under 25 mph, normal up to 55, and sport above 55.

I want speed (and fan level) sensitive audio as well! Whether the windows or roof are open should also be factored in.

I was wondering why my steering wheel felt stuck or like the wheels were caught on something at full turn when parking. It wasn't turning fully and I thought the wheels had locked on something or suspension was broke. This explains it. Another firmware bug introduced by Tesla.

Honestly between the brakes not active bug (brakes inactive after shifting, or rather race condition in that the systems aren't active yet but it allows you to drive with no brakes) and then this sport steering mode bug ... I'm losing my confidence that they're not going to kill me some day with some crap firmware release like the Mars climate orbiter.

Hmmm....mine feels great....S85...Sport, low effort at low speed, and nice and taut on the highway.....2.2.140 firmware ....haven't really observed what it does at full lock, maybe a little harder, but not crazy hard...I wonder what the difference it that made mine OK? I lie it better than before by a lot...

Hmmm....mine feels great....S85...Sport, low effort at low speed, and nice and taut on the highway.....2.2.140 firmware ....haven't really observed what it does at full lock, maybe a little harder, but not crazy hard...I wonder what the difference it that made mine OK? I lie it better than before by a lot...

I'm on .115 and have the "stickiness" at low speed/parking situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly between the brakes not active bug (brakes inactive after shifting, or rather race condition in that the systems aren't active yet but it allows you to drive with no brakes) and then this sport steering mode bug ... I'm losing my confidence that they're not going to kill me some day with some crap firmware release like the Mars climate orbiter.

I do agree that this kind of stuff is very concerning. One slip up could cause a catastrophic (for individuals and company) outcome. And the brakes issue could have become one easily.

I have to say I'm somewhat glad to read these reports of steering changes. Over the past few days I've started to think that I was either imagining the change or that my car was developing a physical problem with the power steering. I park in a garage at my office that requires some tight maneuvering for some of the spaces and have found it a bit more difficult lately; I haven't noticed any difference on the road though. I've generally stayed in sport mode but I'll try standard and see if it helps.

Yep. I've noticed it is an issue only when (1) not moving, (2) in Sport mode and (3) my foot is on the brake pedal. If I'm in Park, with my foot off the brake, it's fine.

Of course I just went through a whole rigmarole on the phone with Tesla (first my local SC and then with HQ) to figure all this out... I should have come here first!

I made sure to point out that it should be reported as a bug/issue, and he said he was doing so. Hopefully they'll resolve this soon with a new update...

I actually thought this was a bug (I'm on ver .115) and sent an email to a Tesla. Here is the response:

"An expected behavior of your Model S is that when it is stopped or moving very slowly, and the steering wheel is turn greater than 75% with Sport steering, there will be significant resistance when turning the wheel. The level of resistance is most commonly correlated to the speed of the vehicle. Slower speeds have higher resistance, higher speeds have less resistance. Please try adjusting your power steering mode from Sport to Standard, and then monitor the concern to see if It persists.

If there are any other problems with the steering that fall outside of these parameters please let us know and we will escalate this concern to your local service center."

Wait, are they saying it is not a bug and the fact that the steering wheel locks up and doesn't turn is expected behavior? I don't believe that at all. Not being able to turn the wheel is a serious problem. They need to fix this ASAP

Wait, are they saying it is not a bug and the fact that the steering wheel locks up and doesn't turn is expected behavior? I don't believe that at all. Not being able to turn the wheel is a serious problem. They need to fix this ASAP

Someone either at TM forums or one of the Facebook groups indicated that he was told by Tesla that this is a bug. Steering stiffness should be proportional to the speed, not inversely proportional. You need the most power assist when you are moving the least.

Someone either at TM forums or one of the Facebook groups indicated that he was told by Tesla that this is a bug. Steering stiffness should be proportional to the speed, not inversely proportional. You need the most power assist when you are moving the least.

Absolutely. That's the whole point of speed sensitive assist. The higher the speed, the less assist is needed.