Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dutch Stella Solar Car wins the 2015 Crunchies Best Technology Achievement Award.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At a speed of up to 50 km/hr the solar panels on the roof of the car produce more energy than the car needs to be driven!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Anton Wahlman on SA referring to it as yet one more Tesla killer in 3 .. 2 .. 1 ..

His articles are worthless.

The Stella Solar Car has got nothing to do with Tesla motors. It's about progress in technology in general.

- - - Updated - - -

The Stella Team will reveal their next vehicle on July 2nd 2015.

Last edited:
This car was at the World Record Largest Parade of Electric Vehicles in Cupertino, CA in Sept 2014. They gave away some rides in a raffle. Really cool, but hardly a car. One thing I thought was interesting when I talked to some of the guys on the team that built it was that the solar panels on the roof were just bare cells, no protective glass. The glass was too heavy, and they could get away with the panels wearing out extremely quickly for their race/competition needs.

I was on a collegiate solar car building/racing team in college a decade or so back. (See avatar pic.)

While these cars are remarkable accomplishments, their designs are far from practical (since that's not the point of long-distance solar racing). That said, the technologies used absolutely trickle down into mainstream EVs/hybrids as well as residential/commercial solar installations.

The programs are also fantastic breeding grounds for talented engineers knowledgeable in lightweight vehicle engineering, aerodynamics, battery pack design and monitoring, power electronics, solar energy monitoring and peak power tracking, etc. :)