Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get a supercharger to a location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems unlikely that you will be able to convince Tesla to build a Supercharger there, but highly likely that Tesla would provide, for free, at least one HPWC and possibly even contribute towards the installation cost as part of the Destination Charging Program. Send an email to Ciaran Doyle

It seems unlikely that you will be able to convince Tesla to build a Supercharger there, but highly likely that Tesla would provide, for free, at least one HPWC and possibly even contribute towards the installation cost as part of the Destination Charging Program. Send an email to Ciaran Doyle

Actually, this is a pretty ideal location for a Supercharger in most aspects. Directly off a highway, close to a gas-station and thus a 24 hour restroom, multiple restaurants in the area, halfway between 2 major cities (St Louis, and Nashville), without being in a major town itself.

I think the only issue is that the parking lot is quite small, so Tesla may worry about it getting ICE'd frequently.

I sent an email off. My thoughts were with deonb. I've talked to people from St. Louis and Chicago that when heading south, Paducah would be a great stop. The hotels here are one of the top grossing hotels for the chains in the whole nation. Its a pit stop for lots of people traveling north to south. Esp Chicago people.

Fezzik,

I've already engaged the city of Paducah and they've filled out the form for Tesla in December. Commissioner Allan Rhodes, Jr. is representing the city. They're definitely interested and are waiting for Tesla to engage them.

I dropped both Metropolis, IL and Paducah, KY governments a letter a few months ago, and Paducah responded. Commissioner Rhodes called me at home to discuss. I think you saw the letter, you posted on the Meetup thread. :)

I also sent feedback to Tesla via the [email protected] alias. Tesla's reply was lukewarm, though -- they argued that they had enabled regional travel and that I-24 was a secondary consideration for them. It will mean an additional 300 miles for anyone in the southern IL / St. Louis area, having to go to Indy before going south on 65.

Of course, the more the merrier - so send the e-mail to the supercharger team. I'm fully in support with you that the I-24 corridor needs one more charger at Metropolis/Paducah. The ideal path from the St. Louis area to the Southeast would be Mt. Vernon -> Paducah -> Nashville -> Chattanooga.

I've also reached out to the general manager of Harrah's Metropolis, and asked them to consider installing HPWC's in the destination charging program. The GM there is considering it with his team.

Last edited:
I also sent feedback to Tesla via the [email protected] alias. Tesla's reply was lukewarm, though -- they argued that they had enabled regional travel and that I-24 was a secondary consideration for them. It will mean an additional 300 miles for anyone in the southern IL / St. Louis area, having to go to Indy before going south on 65.

I cannot understand their thinking on this. As measured on a map, Champaign, IL to Nashville, TN is 5 and 1/2 hrs-377 miles via Paducah and 6 hrs./409 miles via Indy. Which region are they talking about?

I cannot understand their thinking on this. As measured on a map, Champaign, IL to Nashville, TN is 5 and 1/2 hrs-377 miles via Paducah and 6 hrs./409 miles via Indy. Which region are they talking about?

Also, they have a 2016 pin exactly in that area, so someone there already identified this as a needed stop.

I wouldn't take any communication with Tesla at face value (about anything). The engineering and Supercharging teams may have one reason for doing something, and the person replying to the emails may just respond with a standard reply to appease customers, but which has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual state of affairs in that specific area.

There are higher priorities out there. Currently driving from Seattle to New York over SuperChargers require a 2000 mile detour via L.A, but they only need 2 SuperChargers to fix it (1 of which isn't identified yet). Same goes for all over the Texas. So while there are glaring multi-thousand mile gaps like this, the person responding to the email may just look at the map of Kentucky and think it's not so bad.

Also, they have a 2016 pin exactly in that area, so someone there already identified this as a needed stop.

I wouldn't take any communication with Tesla at face value (about anything). The engineering and Supercharging teams may have one reason for doing something, and the person replying to the emails may just respond with a standard reply to appease customers, but which has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual state of affairs in that specific area.

There are higher priorities out there. Currently driving from Seattle to New York over SuperChargers require a 2000 mile detour via L.A, but they only need 2 SuperChargers to fix it (1 of which isn't identified yet). Same goes for all over the Texas. So while there are glaring multi-thousand mile gaps like this, the person responding to the email may just look at the map of Kentucky and think it's not so bad.

My observation about the 2016 map (was true of the old 2014 map, too) is that it's a "catch-all" for anyone who has submitted the form. The 2014 map included a pin on Mt. Vernon, IL -- not there and was even removed from the 2015 map when it was updated. Until someone outlines a process otherwise, 2016 should be considered fiction.

My observation about the 2016 map (was true of the old 2014 map, too) is that it's a "catch-all" for anyone who has submitted the form. The 2014 map included a pin on Mt. Vernon, IL -- not there and was even removed from the 2015 map when it was updated. Until someone outlines a process otherwise, 2016 should be considered fiction.

I stepped right into that one!

Broke my own rule... never take any communication from Tesla at face value.