Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connector vs. supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered our P85D for March delivery.

There is a Supercharger 15 miles from home and a couple Tesla Connectors up to 80kw.

Will we be able to charge our p85D at the connector locations but only up to 80kw or are we incompatible for that type of charger?

Ordered our P85D for March delivery.

There is a Supercharger 15 miles from home and a couple Tesla Connectors up to 80kw.

Will we be able to charge our p85D at the connector locations but only up to 80kw or are we incompatible for that type of charger?

Perhaps you mean 80 amps (the maximum current of an HPWC). That's 19.2 kW at 240 volts. You can certainly charge at one of those. Whether you will get 80 amps or 40 amps will depend on whether you have dual chargers.

And it'll also depend on what it's wired for. A surprising number of HPWCs are only wired for 40 amps

There are also a few HPWC's out there that are wired for 80 Amps, but the DIP switches were never changed from the factory default of 40 Amps. Breakers, wires, etc, all ready to go but waiting for DIP switch settings. Apparently, some electricians don't do DIP switches...

There are also a few HPWC's out there that are wired for 80 Amps, but the DIP switches were never changed from the factory default of 40 Amps. Breakers, wires, etc, all ready to go but waiting for DIP switch settings. Apparently, some electricians don't do DIP switches...

Hmm... maybe it's time to add a Torx driver to my charging kit...

I am kind of curious. Why are you so interested in the external chargers? It is of course fine but can you not charge at home? Do you plan to install a HPWC at your house?

While charging at home is the most common, after about one week of ownership many of us starting planning longer trips. L2 and more specifically haL2 or L3 charging opportunities make these trips much quicker. Our first long trip was from Wenatchee, WA to Banff, Alberta just under 500 miles. We were able to use some haL2 (70A 240V) chargers that added about 50 miles of range per hour of charge. So in very general terms we spent an hour charging for each hour driving. Of course many of the charging hours were while we slept at a hotel with a charger. If we had Tesla Superchargers or even CHAdeMO L3 we would have a much higher ration of driving to charging. ChadeMo 3:1 Tesla SC 5:1 (all of this is not actual and I am basing it on my own 50 MPH actual travel time). So, the more charging opportunities available on a route the more likely EVs will travel there.