Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

​Tesla Model S P85D: The Jalopnik Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jalopnik has really come around!

Indeed. In the comments, somebody actually accuses Jalopnik of being "Tesla-happy"! (link)

- - - Updated - - -

Jalopnik's highest reviewed cars ratings for reference.

Porsche 918 - 91
McLaren MP4-12C Spider - 87
McLaren MP4-12C - 85
Porsche 911 Turbo S - 85

I saw that comment too, but I think he's saying those are the highest ratings he personally has given out, which may not be the highest for Jalopnik overall.

My favorite Jalopnik quote: "The Model S is unlike anything I've ever driven and the performance is like nothing else I've ever felt. Not just the speed, but the odd combination of tranquility and violence that really has to be experienced to be understood."

When a stranger asks how I like my Tesla, I say "I love it" then attempt to describe the above; next time maybe I'll have to take that quote.

What stands out to me most is the comments on the improvement in assembly quality and handling refinement over the cars produced in 2012.

This kind of rapid iterative improvement is unheard of in an industry where car models typically undergo only minor changes in the 3rd year of their generation cycle.

What stands out to me most is the comments on the improvement in assembly quality and handling refinement over the cars produced in 2012.

This kind of rapid iterative improvement is unheard of in an industry where car models typically undergo only minor changes in the 3rd year of their generation cycle.
It happens all the time, it's just that large manufacurers have a pre-series with hundrets of cars, which the average customer will never end up with.

I read the review by Jalopnik and was both amused and impressed with his reporting style. I feel his review is very fair. Especially how he likes the S's ass and is not overly impressed with the front bezel/grill. I would like to read more of his reviews and will look for them as time allows. thanks for pointing this review out.

Yes, I found this review to be surprisingly balanced, given the reputation of Jalopnik on this forum. Giddy and excited where it was warranted, yet still critical of what he felt could be improved. For example, even when expressing his dislike for the nose design, he still mentioned the 0.24Cd (and name-dropped Franz).

What I found particularly impressive about this review was that when he eventually balked at the price, something that plagues Model S reviews as much as the obligatory reference to "range anxiety", he then went on to compare Model S to its direct competition in that regard. Upon which it suddenly didn't seem so way-out.