Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic warning for predicted destination I didn't enter in navigation system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got in the car to drive home from work this afternoon, the car popped up with a notification warning me that there were traffic delats of 28 minutes on my usual route from work. I never use nav to get home from work for obvious reasons, but the car clearly anticipated that home was my likely destination (using the preheat logic, I guess) and warned me that I might want to take a different route today. It was only a minute or two after I started the car, I will still backing out of my parking spot when the message appeared.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I'm not sure if it is smart enough to know that I was almost certainly headed home based on the time of day and my usual patterns or if it always assumes that your next destination is home or what, but this was a very cool feature. Had I taken my usual route, I would have got stuck in a big traffic snarl and it would have cost me twenty minutes to turn around and get out of the mess. I'm super delighted by this.

I'm pretty sure there was something in the 6.1 release notes about this feature (which does look awesome.)

Some folks assumed that you had to tell it explicitly where home and work are, but maybe the car figures that out on its own.
Walter

This was new in 6.0, you can probably read about it in the release notes (or historical release notes). Essentially the car learns your approximate schedule and if you're at work and it's about time for you to go home, it checks the traffic for you. I think you have to have Home and Work programmed into your favorites, but I can't recall for sure.

This was new in 6.0, you can probably read about it in the release notes (or historical release notes). Essentially the car learns your approximate schedule and if you're at work and it's about time for you to go home, it checks the traffic for you. I think you have to have Home and Work programmed into your favorites, but I can't recall for sure.

I tried to search for it, but apparently didn't find the right terms. It was a very entertaining thing to see.

In the 6.0 release notes in My Tesla on the teslamotors.com site, look for "Commute Advice". It's the second item in the first section.

As a note, you do have to have your Home and Work locations set, and it'll only apply on weekday mornings and evenings. And weekend workers are out of luck!

I had this pop-up this morning for me as well on my way to work. First time it came up.

Obviously it's not hard for the car to predict that on a weekday morning I'd be going to work (I programmed in the work destination and I go there every weekday). What's cool though, is it knows the "usual route" (the normal shortest routed I would take by default) and was able to show me a route with better traffic.

i get this message every morning, and i typically go the way Waze suggests, as i've compared the two and Waze is always better.

but my question is this: it says "Faster Commute Available." Faster than what? is the car tracking the way i normally go?

How do you know Waze is better unless you drive both routes at that specific day and time? I was driving to the dentist today. Tesla Nav told me to exit one before the usual, more direct route. I thought, "that's crazy" and went the usual route. Found out that road had a lane closed and got stuck in terrible backup. Nearly missed my appointment. Next time I will follow the Tesla route...

I'm not sure if it is smart enough to know that I was almost certainly headed home based on the time of day and my usual patterns or if it always assumes that your next destination is home or what, but this was a very cool feature. Had I taken my usual route, I would have got stuck in a big traffic snarl and it would have cost me twenty minutes to turn around and get out of the mess. I'm super delighted by this.

Very nice! I've not had the home/work one happen yet but my commute is all surface streets so it is unlikely that will ever happen for me. However, one day out running errands (evening)-- I had an appointment that WAS in my calendar. I had not, however, clicked it as my destination yet. I was just driving around, but was indeed on my way to that location (via starbucks). After picking up my latte and getting back in the car, I was given a notice that my destination had a faster route, even though my nav wasn't even running (I knew the way to my next appointment and did not need the nav to be running). Still, the predictive nature of the nav is VERY awesome indeed!

What are the obvious reasons? You don't care about smart re-routing? I always use Waze to and from work to guide me regarding traffic conditions, but I drive in a very congested city.

98 times out of 100, I would use the same route and we don't have significant traffic issues here. I don't like having the left side of the dash hogged by nav guidance when I don't need it. I actually rarely use nav in my home city since I'm very familiar with the layout and often think I'm smarter than the nav system anyhow. I may have to revisit that belief now.

i get this message every morning, and i typically go the way Waze suggests, as i've compared the two and Waze is always better.

but my question is this: it says "Faster Commute Available." Faster than what? is the car tracking the way i normally go?

I believe it does learn your normal route. There is a setting in the menu to raise or lower the threshold for "time saved" or something like that before it will pop up the notification.

I believe it does learn your normal route. There is a setting in the menu to raise or lower the threshold for "time saved" or something like that before it will pop up the notification.
I don't think it does, or at least doesn't on mine. I don't take the route to work the nav suggests. I've gotten the commute advice notice twice, and both times it recommended taking the route I always take with no modifications.

So either it assumes I'm taking the route it thinks I should take, or it's buggy. I suppose those are equally likely.

How do you know Waze is better unless you drive both routes at that specific day and time? I was driving to the dentist today. Tesla Nav told me to exit one before the usual, more direct route. I thought, "that's crazy" and went the usual route. Found out that road had a lane closed and got stuck in terrible backup. Nearly missed my appointment. Next time I will follow the Tesla route...

well, i've compared the two on a bunch of days commuting. run both at the same time, and see how they do. the Tesla's nav tends to prioritize routes on highways, then State Routes (yellow roads on google maps). driving around LA, it suggests i take state routes like santa monica blvd - which is NEVER the fastest way across town at rush hour.

and while the Tesla nav will promise me a shorter drive time than Waze does at the outset, it has yet to be correct. i notice it slowly bumping the final ETA up as i hit traffic, while waze typically does not adjust its original ETA - and it usually was correct in the first place.

Yep, agreed. Same for the heavy traffic Silicon Valley area, Waze much more accurate than Tesla's (Navigon based + "real-time" traffic)
well, i've compared the two on a bunch of days commuting. run both at the same time, and see how they do. the Tesla's nav tends to prioritize routes on highways, then State Routes (yellow roads on google maps). driving around LA, it suggests i take state routes like santa monica blvd - which is NEVER the fastest way across town at rush hour.

and while the Tesla nav will promise me a shorter drive time than Waze does at the outset, it has yet to be correct. i notice it slowly bumping the final ETA up as i hit traffic, while waze typically does not adjust its original ETA - and it usually was correct in the first place.