Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scientists Invent A New Steel As Strong As Titanium

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They still have an unsolved science issue. Corrosion.

I remember back in the day when my dad was still in the air force, he told me the mechanics working on titanium aircraft had to have titanium tools to prevent bad things from happening. I assume the bad things were corrosion. But titanium was used a lot on high performance sailboats and I don't recall hearing about any issues there other than cost. Is titanium corrosion still an issue?

I agree this new material has a long way to go before it winds up in any products. Just like battery technology, it is a long way from the lab to production.

INdeed, although the title is misleading, the article makes it clear that the reference is to Ti-steel alloys, which are, indeed, about as tough as anything we've yet been able to concoct. ALWAYS read beyond the headline!

Nevertheless, the article also gives a nod to the problem of corrosion of this Al-steel alloy, as Cosmacelf pointed out. Worse for me, however, is this line which, once parsed, becomes close to malarkey, as follows - quoting the researcher:
"(the new alloy) is 13 percent less dense compared to normal steel, and has almost the same strength-to-weight ratio compared to titanium alloys,
OK...so it's 13% lighter than a TI-alloy....and almost 13% less strong than same. So you need 13% more of it to get something that's almost as strong as a Ti alloy.

Don't think we're quite there yet, Doc.

INdeed, although the title is misleading, the article makes it clear that the reference is to Ti-steel alloys, which are, indeed, about as tough as anything we've yet been able to concoct. ALWAYS read beyond the headline!

Nevertheless, the article also gives a nod to the problem of corrosion of this Al-steel alloy, as Cosmacelf pointed out. Worse for me, however, is this line which, once parsed, becomes close to malarkey, as follows - quoting the researcher:
OK...so it's 13% lighter than a TI-alloy....and almost 13% less strong than same. So you need 13% more of it to get something that's almost as strong as a Ti alloy.

Don't think we're quite there yet, Doc.

No, it's 13% lighter than normal steel, not a Ti-steel alloy. Basically not quite as good as Ti-steel alloys, but 90% cheaper.

Aah - fair enough. Ti-alloys also are significantly less dense than the more prosaic steels. It is, however, an enormous stretch to say something that has been created in laboratory scale costs ten percent as much as a commercially available product. You certainly cannot add up the cost of raw Fe, Ni and Al, and compare it to raw Fe and Ti, and claim a cost victory!

Regardless, I'm all for more research into steel alloys, and hope POSCO can take the good Dr Kim's work and pound it into something cost effective.