Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody else has my same license plate in the same state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found out today when trying to register my license plate for a toll pass in Washington that another black Model S with the same plate is already registered and being actively driven on the toll bridge. Whoever it is apparently forgot to renew their registration, so when I requested the personalized plate, I essentially took it from them. The issue is they still have not renewed their registration (at which point the plate has to be turned in), so they are still using it. Same car, same color, same city, same license plate.

Let me summarize....SOMEONE WITH THE SAME CAR HAS MY SAME EXACT LICENSE PLATE. The problems this could cause are nearly endless.

On one hand, if that person does something dumb with their car (like a parking violation or hit and run where someone sees the plate), then it comes back on me. That would be a nightmare to explain.

On the other hand, this means that other person gets charged whenever I drive across the toll bridge.

Could the other plate possibly have the numeral "0", and not the letter "O"????

No. It is the same exact plate. I confirmed it with the state today. They have no way of contacting that driver other than via the mail, and he is clearly not noticing the numerous renewal notices already sent, so that likely won't help. I am trying to get the Department of Licensing on the phone with Tesla to get his contact info to fix this.

I found out today when trying to register my license plate for a toll pass in Washington that another black Model S with the same plate is already registered and being actively driven on the toll bridge. Whoever it is apparently forgot to renew their registration, so when I requested the personalized plate, I essentially took it from them. The issue is they still have not renewed their registration (at which point the plate has to be turned in), so they are still using it. Same car, same color, same city, same license plate.

Let me summarize....SOMEONE WITH THE SAME CAR HAS MY SAME EXACT LICENSE PLATE. The problems this could cause are nearly endless.

On one hand, if that person does something dumb with their car (like a parking violation or hit and run where someone sees the plate), then it comes back on me. That would be a nightmare to explain.

On the other hand, this means that other person gets charged whenever I drive across the toll bridge.

Huh I'd be very worried. It might be an idea to somehow keep digital track of your car location at all time, in case you need such info...

I tried that. Nobody remembers seeing that plate prior to my car coming in. It's possible the other owner hasn't needed service or just nobody noticed. Tesla confirmed they do not keep track of the plates though.

The state should know the prior VIN associated with the plate. That I am sure Tesla has info on at least who it was sold to.

After that you could try the toll authority.

The state has the VIN and will contact Tesla tomorrow for the owner's contact info. Hopefully that gets this solved. The owner probably wants to keep the plate and likely doesn't know the registration lapsed, so it probably won't be a pleasant situation. I may offer to give up the plate and get another since the state already made that offer to me.

You're going to get all his photo-radar tickets, well that's what would happen here because we use photo-radar here. Maybe not for you.

But anybody reporting any incident regarding license plate OHM is going to come to you.

Get on record, that you've informed motor vehicles licensing, and police of the duplicate plate on identical vehicle.

Any judge will have to throw such reported cases out, because there is reasonable doubt it was your car.

If the other guy is driving with a plate he does not own, isn't that a pretty serious offence? Driving with an altered plate, effectively? Maybe the cops would be interested.

Driving with an expired registration results in a fine over $400 where I live. Any violator driving on the highway will get nabbed before long, because camera systems read passing plates and alert authorities to anomalies. Unless of course there's an identical, non expired plate to confuse the system, so the original owner owes the OP a lot of beer.