Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would people trade in their Tesla for an ICE car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was at a BMW dealer and was talking to a sales person regarding Tesla direct approach into selling cars and she mentioned that over the years they got about 11 Teslas for trade ins and they weren't even sure what evaluation it to give.

My question why would these people trade in a Tesla for an ICE car?

There are a number of legitimate issues with the Model S that could drive someone batty. I don't find any of them relevant for my usage, but I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone. It's not like there are many (any) Model S alternatives in the BEV market, either, so going to a major ICE luxury maker isn't particularly surprising.

So I was at a BMW dealer and was talking to a sales person regarding Tesla direct approach into selling cars and she mentioned that over the years they got about 11 Teslas for trade ins and they weren't even sure what evaluation it to give.

My question why would these people trade in a Tesla for an ICE car?

Car sales person??? Do you think he was truthful?

"I needed the money" could be a reason.

Someone who gets in over their head. Too much debt. ICE is a lot cheaper.

or maybe,

"when electricity gets scarce and gas becomes cheaper than electricity"

If the Saudi's keep flooding the market.

Whilst most normal people might keep a car for three years or more there are a minority that seem to change them every 6 months or so. Why? Who knows? - Easily bored? Always want the latest thing? Like the new car smell and don't want to buy one of those little scented trees.....?

I think that there was even a thread either on here or the Tesla Motors forum where someone was selling their model S solely because he had owned it for 6 months and wanted a change!

There's a well known Tesla owner in the UK who is trading his Tesla for a BMW...

Did he say why?

The Model S will not meet everyone's needs. Neither will an equivelent ICE sedan replace a Land Rover for off-road use, or a maneuverable city car like a Smart ED.

ICEs also have a more convenient and ubiquitous highway refueling network. In a year or two there will be enough Superchargers to almost negate this advantage.

GSP

Whilst most normal people might keep a car for three years or more there are a minority that seem to change them every 6 months or so. Why? Who knows? - Easily bored? Always want the latest thing? Like the new car smell and don't want to buy one of those little scented trees.....?
I once asked a Porsche salesman for the story on a used car in the showroom with < 5000 miles. He deadpanned, "I have customers who change cars the way you and I change shoes."

Why would you believe something the dealer told you? If you came in with a Maserati, they would probably have told you about all the Maseratis being traded in for BMWs.

Rule #1. Don't believe anything they say.
Rule #2. If you're tempted to believe something they say, see rule #1.