Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My dashcam-solution for looking at traffic lights (no fresnel lens or mirror needed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some time ago, I installed a Mobius action cam with wide-angle lens as a dashcam:
IMG_20141222_092207.jpg

Last month I got a bright idea: what if I could use the video-out from the Mobius as a video source on my Alpine IVA W502R system? That way I wouldn't need the confusing fresnel lens in the top of my window any more, and I would be able to see traffic lights almost all the time, instead of needing to duck to see them. See the idea in my sketch of the situation. Grey = driver and stock vision. Pink = ducking driver. Blue = dashcam field of view:
sketch-1422964949824.jpg

I started researching all the requirements. Here's my shopping list:
- Cable harness for Alpine Video in.
- Mini-usb to Video-out for Mobius.

Connecting the Mobius with my Alpine was pretty easy, although I re-plugged the rear-view-camera into the new cable harness. I also cut wire 11 on the main connector, and connected it to a chassis ground, to enable video in motion. Then it was a matter of configuring the Alpine so it enables Video in as Aux source, and voilá:

IMG_20150131_101809.jpg

I keep AUX as visual source during driving and I use the camera image every time I'm standing still, to be able to see the traffic light.

Not: in the image above I wasn't able to see the upper row of traffic lights through the Fresnel lens or by ducking.

Last edited:
That's really cool!
I actually don't mind ducking (and moving forward) to see the light. It's never really been an issue.
But I HAVE backed into a wall (no damage), so I would really like to install a backup camera.
Just something that'll feed into my iPhone.
Any ideas?

That's really cool!
I actually don't mind ducking (and moving forward) to see the light. It's never really been an issue.
But I HAVE backed into a wall (no damage), so I would really like to install a backup camera.
Just something that'll feed into my iPhone.
Any ideas?
Good question...
There are solutions like this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/wifi-Car-Rear-View-Camera-android_1795174550.html
Although I don't know about the quality of that.

Nice solution , But I prefer to look up through the glas top from Visium to see the traffic lights ;-)
True, that's the best solution.

Thanks Mark!
Here's a quick MSPaint wiring diagram. I'm no electro-engineer, so I didn't really follow any standards except my own ;)

scheme.png

It's pretty easy to have Video in Motion. Just cut cable 11 on the main connector, and ground it on the chassis of the radio unit, or somewhere else.

My dashcam-solution for looking at traffic lights (no fresnel lens or mirror ...

But a backup cam requires messing with wiring :(
I still haven't found one that is truly wireless and runs on batteries.

I've been looking for the same thing. Post if you find something!

For us 1.5 owners, what would also work is a wireless camera that could transmit the image to the screen of our smartphone. Bit as far as I know Bluetooth cannot transmit video.

Yes, Bluetooth can actually transmit video. I can use my smartwatch as a frontend for my Phone's camera over bluetooth. What you could do is... maybe place a widescreen camera behind the rear window instead of on the rear bumper?
Or, use a wifi enabled camera that can stream to your phone, like the one I posted. Shouldn't be too much work to make a battery pack for such a camera.

Nice!

And how about using a POV camera solution which is used on drones/remote controlled airplanes and such? Could be helpful!

Good idea. One possibility is Gopro GoPro Official Website - Capture + share your world . Their cameras connect to an app that works with the iPhone that allows you to see video and control camera functions. You can use a suction cup mount for the camera. Gopro sells a battery add-on that increases battery life capacity. They probably sell a car lighter adaptor as well but I'm not sure.