Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Los Angeles to Nor-Cal Pleasanton Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone -

The wife who continues to steal my Tesla on a daily basis wants to take a road trip up North to visit some friends and family. This would be my first long road trip relying on Super Chargers... I know there is EVTRIPPLANNER but I had a couple questions...

We would have a full car (family of 5)... I really would like to do atleast 70 mph preferably 75 mph.

Do you guys think its doable only stopping at Tejon Ranch, Harris Ranch and then destination of Pleasanton?

My biggest concern is the Harris Ranch to Pleasanton leg... but it should be doable right? Would 75 mph gonna make it pretty tight?

Thanks guys I am just a little nervous on this first trip.

Do you have an 85? We go back and forth from Orinda to LA, stopping at Harris and Tejon. We typically do around 75 on 5. The leg between Harris and Pleasanton should be fairly easy at around 75, if you fill up well at Harris, since we are a good 20 miles farther than Pleasanton. We find it takes a good part of an hour to eat at Harris Ranch, depending on the time of day. That works fine to get the car well charged, especially if you have a decent charge at Tejon-Lebec. We have frozen yogurt at the Yogurtland near the chargers. However, climbing the Altamont Pass near Livermore, I wouldn't do 75, that would be burning a lot of kwh's. Very few ICE's do that speed up the Pass. With five in the car, you probably won't need the heater, maybe AC in the Valley.

@ astro- yes we have the P85D and I know there still is the issue with not having the sleep software yet on the range etc. Yeh over the Altimont I will take it easy and have the kids count the windmills.

May at I ask what you do once in Orinda? I'm thinking I will have to make a quick trip to Fremont to get a good charge since my family will only have 120 for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Astro I just realized your home is probably in Orinda.