Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There's a Blizzard today in Boston and boy oh boy it sure is FUN!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
Yeah, I'm still stuck with one of those ancient rolling wrecks that Tesla hasn't produced for AGES: a lousy, no-account, feeble, arthritic P85+. A 0-60 mph time that I'm ashamed to mention in this august forum. Heck, the beast is so differently abled that only two of its four wheels ever get any power. Imagine that! And it's only the rear wheels, to boot, doomed to struggle to push the car through any kind of weather at all.

It's cold out. The blizzard has been doing its thing since last night... only a week since the last big storm... The wife thought I was crazy to go out -- who needs orange juice and bananas so badly they can't wait until tomorrow? But it had to be done.

The plows are struggling to keep up. Even where the roads have been plowed, there's a significant layer of ice and snow. And that's on the main drag. In the side areas, the snow is piling up and it can be treacherous to turn from one street to another; much better to swing way out, *around* the snow plow's leavings, to make the turn using the lane of oncoming traffic. Cars are getting stuck. People are sliding through traffic lights. There are some steep hills. It's ugly out there! People are staying home! Stores are empty! There was an Audi A6 (looked like a quattro) stuck on a hill!

The car was wearing its Nokiian Hakka R2s today... I gave the Tesla Traction Control a real work-out. :biggrin:

Wheee!!!!!!!!!!!! I even got to raise the suspension to Very High as part of my bullheaded plan to go up the hill outside my home, rather than go around the long way and come down that hill instead. The entrance to the street had been plowed in as part of clearing the intersecting street. Ha! Bwaa haaa haaa haaa haaa!!!

Pretty goddamned happy today with this car and these tires!

Alan

P.S. Sorry I don't have better pictures to offer. It's Boston, so no one is particularly obsessed with cleaning snow, ice and moisture off their windshields. And a lot of the time I was managing to get the car up to 25-30 mph while taking pix with one hand and driving with the other. Sadly, I had to use two hands for the part that was most fun -- breaking through the snow barrier and jamming the car up the hill outside my house through the ice and unplowed snow. Coupla nervous moments there -- some might call them "oh, sh*t" moments, others might say, "oh, dear", I was grumbling, "get thee behind me, Tesla Watertown Service Center Manager! Damn you and your offers of a P85D loaner! I will NOT get stuck here and throw in the towel and call you to come tow the car away and trade it for a P85D!" -- and that was the most fun of all!!

SD1.jpg
SD2.jpg

Pollux-- I feel the same way, everyone here bragging about their P85D in the snow, and I'm rolling in my classic 85 (built early 2014). I have the service center installed Pirelli snow tires here in Cleveland, Ohio. We have 20" of current ground cover, of which about 14" of that just fell in the last 24-hours. Driving to work today was a blast, and I passed a few AWD vehicles. I'll admit the RWD + snow tires drive makes for a different experience than what I'm used to coming from Audi Quattro cars... but this thing is very competent and fun. I'm sure I'll have a dual drive Tesla some day, but for now I'm still having a blast just like you! Be safe...

The car was wearing its Nokiian Hakka R2s today... I gave the Tesla Traction Control a real work-out. :biggrin:

Wheee!!!!!!!!!!!! I even got to raise the suspension to Very High as part of my bullheaded plan to go up the hill outside my home, rather than go around the long way and come down that hill instead. The entrance to the street had been plowed in as part of clearing the intersecting street. Ha! Bwaa haaa haaa haaa haaa!!!

Pretty goddamned happy today with this car and these tires!

This perfectly describes my situation in Burlington, VT. My 2013 P85 with R2's is just a hoot in the snow. There's a wee bit of wheel spin at times, but absolutely no drama. This car with these tires tracks like a Siberian dogsled.

@rheazombi - great pix!

@ToddRLockwood - I find I'm able to get the rear end of my P85+ to swing out. Surprising! But my traction is so good during what would seem to be more challenging moments. Right now, I'm ascribing this swing out behavior to speed in combination with ice / snow cover. But as an ex-Audi guy, and what with comments like yours about how the car tracks, it is still puzzling.

This perfectly describes my situation in Burlington, VT. My 2013 P85 with R2's is just a hoot in the snow. There's a wee bit of wheel spin at times, but absolutely no drama. This car with these tires tracks like a Siberian dogsled.

Agreed! Used the R2's in Norway on my trip to the Arctic circle and saw a lot, I mean, a lot of snow. Driving with a classis S85 in those conditions is fun! Sometimes the back starts to slide a bit when you by accident (uhu) hit the throttle a bit to much. The kid comes to life again inside you :) Play time!

@rheazombi - great pix!

@ToddRLockwood - I find I'm able to get the rear end of my P85+ to swing out. Surprising! But my traction is so good during what would seem to be more challenging moments. Right now, I'm ascribing this swing out behavior to speed in combination with ice / snow cover. But as an ex-Audi guy, and what with comments like yours about how the car tracks, it is still puzzling.

Of course I am being extra conservative on the accelerator. What really impresses me is how straight the car tracks in several inches of fresh snow, even the heavy variety. That's probably mainly due to the R2's and the Tesla's low center of gravity. My "other" car is a 2002 Audi S6 Avant with a 4.2 liter V8. Naturally, it gets slightly better traction when pulling away from a stop, but it is nowhere nearly as stable once underway.

The only disappointment for me is that stability control can't be disabled (without fuse-pulling). I have a driveway that does a 180-degree turn to get into the garage. With my truck, I rather enjoy the snow - get to the top of the hill, point the front end at the garage, and spin the tires to make the truck come all the way around.

The Tesla's too smart - get slightly sideways, and *shudder* *shudder* *shudder* brakes applied to keep me straight. Sigh.

Thanks, US government, for ruining my fun.

50" here in MA in the last week is nuts.

I've got the R2's too and they've been great. The only thing I fear is not going anywhere at all. Sometimes the traction control backs WAY down to the point I'm barely moving before things start to pick up. It almost feels like a stall/getting stuck.

Anyone else have the "too much traction control" anxiety?

Silly East Coasters. Here in Chitown, we had the fifth largest blizzard on record, about 18" or so in our alley. I did snowblow a bit around my garage, but the remainder of the alley still had a decent amount (~8" min, drifts 30"+?). The P85D laughed* at it, and drove out very nicely. I didn't think much of it until I talked to an owner on the other end, who has an S4... and he said he was too afraid to even try to get out!

This is with stock all-weathers, not the snow tires nor chains. Wow, I love this car. The weight I'm sure plays a part too, the garbage trucks never get stuck.

*To be fair, I was VERY gentle on the first exit. But on the first return, to get in my garage, I had to plow through one of the drift banks, and felt narry a slip on any wheel. Good job, Tesla!

I'm hoping to see a photo of a street covered in snow and every car on the block covered with a tall blanket of snow EXCEPT FOR A MODEL S that is plugged in, and so warm the snow is melting as it lands. Preheated, free of windshield snow, ice etc.! Now that would be an incredible picture to see and maybe even use to show just how nice it is to own a Tesla MS!

Hi, @tliving,

Love your blog. :)

Yeah, I've got "traction control anxiety". Partly because I insist on running the car through the blizzard rather than spending the day indoors. Although I still have to wait for the plows to come and make at least one pass over the roads when the snow has accumulated overnight.

My instinct in prior vehicles when the snow is deep and the wheels are faltering is to "feather" the accelerator to avoid digging the wheels into snowy/icy ruts. I use a combination of momentum and a light touch on the pedal. In a manual transmission, I hunt for gears that feel good and when going downhill use a lot of engine braking. I make no claim to great expertise in this regard; I can only say it is the style I've evolved into over 35 years of driving and watching others drive in these conditions and listening to what people have said about how to drive.

But in the Model S, I've absorbed a different wisdom. I grit my teeth and put my foot DOWN on the accelerator -- not so much because the car needs maximum acceleration but largely to force myself to NOT let the pedal all the way up, so that I don't interrupt power to the wheels and/or kick in the regen braking! With the traction control enabled, the car does an excellent job of translating my foot-down approach into whatever the snow/ice will really allow. And on a downhill, I tend to let my foot up on the accelerator enough that the wheels are still powered without regen kicking it, or at most kicking in lightly. So far, these techniques seem to be working well for me.

Oh, and I've definitely used the air suspension to great advantage. I literally got stuck in one place on Tuesday while on Standard height. I first tried rocking the car to free it but couldn't quite accomplish that. I (nervously) then raised the height to Very High. I was able to back out of that jam with the greatest of ease. And then, being just a tad, er, firmly inner-directed, I backed up as much as I could, then charged forward and through the blockage and up the hill. Great fun!

Alan

50" here in MA in the last week is nuts.

I've got the R2's too and they've been great. The only thing I fear is not going anywhere at all. Sometimes the traction control backs WAY down to the point I'm barely moving before things start to pick up. It almost feels like a stall/getting stuck.

Anyone else have the "too much traction control" anxiety?

Hi, @tliving,

Love your blog. :)

Yeah, I've got "traction control anxiety". Partly because I insist on running the car through the blizzard rather than spending the day indoors. Although I still have to wait for the plows to come and make at least one pass over the roads when the snow has accumulated overnight.

My instinct in prior vehicles when the snow is deep and the wheels are faltering is to "feather" the accelerator to avoid digging the wheels into snowy/icy ruts. I use a combination of momentum and a light touch on the pedal. In a manual transmission, I hunt for gears that feel good and when going downhill use a lot of engine braking. I make no claim to great expertise in this regard; I can only say it is the style I've evolved into over 35 years of driving and watching others drive in these conditions and listening to what people have said about how to drive.

But in the Model S, I've absorbed a different wisdom. I grit my teeth and put my foot DOWN on the accelerator -- not so much because the car needs maximum acceleration but largely to force myself to NOT let the pedal all the way up, so that I don't interrupt power to the wheels and/or kick in the regen braking! With the traction control enabled, the car does an excellent job of translating my foot-down approach into whatever the snow/ice will really allow. And on a downhill, I tend to let my foot up on the accelerator enough that the wheels are still powered without regen kicking it, or at most kicking in lightly. So far, these techniques seem to be working well for me.

Oh, and I've definitely used the air suspension to great advantage. I literally got stuck in one place on Tuesday while on Standard height. I first tried rocking the car to free it but couldn't quite accomplish that. I (nervously) then raised the height to Very High. I was able to back out of that jam with the greatest of ease. And then, being just a tad, er, firmly inner-directed, I backed up as much as I could, then charged forward and through the blockage and up the hill. Great fun!

Alan

Thanks.

I definitely love nailing the pedal on the snow and just going straight. I worry someday it will decide for me its just not enough traction and stop completely. There have been a few times its gone down to like 1mph and I'm thinking its the day. Usually after a turn with mush in the intersection etc.

@dbitter1: And while the x85Ds are all the rage and nice, it would be really really nice if people didnt keep reminding us that we don't have the D :eek: