Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla charging stations approved for New Jersey Turnpike rest areas

"Authority commissioners approved an agreement Tuesday morning with Tesla to install charging stations in the Molly Pitcher and Joyce Kilmer services areas —both in Middlesex County — at no expense to toll payers."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/09/post_360.html

Wow, that's a welcome change! Maybe some rational traffic planner realized that since Tesla wouldn't be demanding an exclusivity agreement, that the businesses at the rest areas would very much like to welcome high-income drivers stopping there, and that it's good for traffic flow not to have thru-travelers have to leave the Interstate it was a good idea. Besides the fact that fast chargers at Interstate rest-stops are all round a good idea.

We're talking about two different things-- when I said rest stops with services, I mean gas stations and restaurants that are accessible in a plaza on the toll road so you don't have to get off. Colorado, Virginia, etc. are taking about rest areas which are a bathroom and picnic tables.

We're talking about two different things-- when I said rest stops with services, I mean gas stations and restaurants that are accessible in a plaza on the toll road so you don't have to get off. Colorado, Virginia, etc. are taking about rest areas which are a bathroom and picnic tables.

You said services. Clean toilets are the most important services a Supercharger!

Yep.

Maine Turnpike Authority - Turnpike Traveler Services | Turnpike News | Travel Advisories

Other small rest areas have been closed. The odd area has just been re-purposed as weigh stations.

This link says:
"The Maine Turnpike Authority is a quasi-state agency created by the Maine Legislature in 1941. The Maine Turnpike was the first "superhighway" in New England and the first such highway in the United States built without state or federal tax dollars."

To my point-- Service plazas such as these are not located on the interstate highway system, except for earlier roads (mostly in the northeast) grandfathered into the system.

CT doesn't have any toll roads but our service stations are being rebuilt with food courts, bathroom facilities and most importantly 3 locations have supercharger stations (Greenwich, Darien & Milford). Excellent model that other states should follow if traffic volume can support the businesses (no issue on I95). No need to exit the highway to charge up and clean facilities to use while waiting if desired.

CT doesn't have any toll roads but our service stations are being rebuilt with food courts, bathroom facilities and most importantly 3 locations have supercharger stations (Greenwich, Darien & Milford). Excellent model that other states should follow if traffic volume can support the businesses (no issue on I95). No need to exit the highway to charge up and clean facilities to use while waiting if desired.

I'm pretty sure there used to be tolls on both the Merritt and 95 in CT.