Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Rear Door will not open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been a big supporter of the Model S and Tesla but my patience is waning. I've had my right rear door handle REPLACED TWICE. Yesterday I was at an event in Delaware and 2 of my friends (Carnegie Mellon Engineering Grads) wanted to see my car and take it for a test drive. We drove for over 20 minutes and they were blown away. I gave them the full court press on the car and they could not get over how well the car performed. On the way back I stopped at the SuperCharger on the NJ TKPE and noticed my left rear door would not open. All door handles presented and retracted but the left rear door did not open.

I am so glad this did not happen while I was showcasing the car. That would have been a real bummer especially to engineering people.

Its very annoying when you have to spend a day going to the service center plus I'm hoping I can get an Appt this week.....the last time it took me 4 weeks to get an appt. to fix my right rear door handle.

I am having second thoughts on the Model X. I love the MS but I think it has too many gadgets that can easily break. It also seems with every SW Update something else does not work properly. If it's not the radio it's the NAV System or the 3G......

Last edited:
All door handles presented and retracted but the left read door did not open.

I honestly feel the door handles are way too complicated for the intended purpose. I too have had all 4 handles replaced and also have intermittent problems with my left rear door. In my case, the handle will present, but when I pull it, the handle "snaps" back in to the door, then slowly extends again. This happens maybe one time in ten. My SC asked me to see if I could get video of it because they can't replicate it in the shop. I've now got lots of iPhone video of the door working perfectly, but, of course, as soon as I stop recording, it does it again!

I have the same issue with the left rear handle. The only time I notice it though is when I get out of the driver side and immediately open open the left rear door just as I close the the drivers door. I've have just accepted as one of those quirks.

I had this same issue for two weeks. I was waiting to have it fixed with my annual service but it self corrected. No more issue three months on.

The door handles make me smile several times a day. But those two weeks did make a little tarnish.