Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50 States in an MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Thank you for starting this thread. Within the hour I will drop off the car to make the 3week trip to the mainland. I'm nervous of course, but all I can do is hope for the best. I just took a couple pics with Lita at the pier here in Kailua Kona, Hi after we had breakfast with auntie Megan.

The big island of Hawaii has been a challenging place to keep the car charged. It's the most expensive electric in the USA, so people are naturally hesitant to share. It could be as much as $40 to fill the battery from the grid. Public charging stations are few, and for direct profit mostly. I figured the one at walmart charges the equivalent of $6/gallon.
It's a great place to drive though. Lot's of crazy steep, long hills and miles of hairpin turns. Going from Kailua Kona to Mauna Kea was 55miles that used 118 miles of range. On the way down I gained 8 miles range over those same 55miles travel. Fun!

The big island of Hawaii has been a challenging place to keep the car charged. It's the most expensive electric in the USA, so people are naturally hesitant to share. It could be as much as $40 to fill the battery from the grid. Public charging stations are few, and for direct profit mostly. I figured the one at walmart charges the equivalent of $6/gallon.
It's a great place to drive though. Lot's of crazy steep, long hills and miles of hairpin turns. Going from Kailua Kona to Mauna Kea was 55miles that used 118 miles of range. On the way down I gained 8 miles range over those same 55miles travel. Fun!

Fritts, Welcome to Hawaii. Glad to have you here. Very glad you are having fun with your MS. Yeah, lots of different driving here. Many of us have PV to offload the cost of charging. Yes, juice here is high. Some where around $ .34 per KW. Enjoy your stay and come back whenever you wish. You are certainly welcome here.

Tell us one of your "really good" stories from your 48-state run, please.

Looking at the supercharger map now is really impressive. And the projections are even more impressive. Just a couple days ago a station opened near my hometown in upstate NY. Previously it hadn't even been on the map for a future location.
I have to admit it's poignant for me. So much of the trip was about contacting other owners or friends for charging. I got to meet and visit a lot of wonderful people. It's a shame that for future trips on the same route, that social part of the journey will no longer be necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Akikiki, on Big Island i drove from Kailua Kona to the visitor center near the top of Mauna Kea. 55 miles, 9,000 ft climb. It used 118 miles range on the way up and on the way back I gained 8.
On a trip from Hilo it was fun. I was on top of the saddle road, 45 miles from home with 15 miles range remaining, but I knew I'd make it with even more range when I reached Kona.

Looking at the supercharger map now is really impressive. And the projections are even more impressive. Just a couple days ago a station opened near my hometown in upstate NY. Previously it hadn't even been on the map for a future location.
I have to admit it's poignant for me. So much of the trip was about contacting other owners or friends for charging. I got to meet and visit a lot of wonderful people. It's a shame that for future trips on the same route, that social part of the journey will no longer be necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Akikiki, on Big Island i drove from Kailua Kona to the visitor center near the top of Mauna Kea. 55 miles, 9,000 ft climb. It used 118 miles range on the way up and on the way back I gained 8.
On a trip from Hilo it was fun. I was on top of the saddle road, 45 miles from home with 15 miles range remaining, but I knew I'd make it with even more range when I reached Kona.

Fritts, sounds like an awesome trip considering you didn't rely on Superchargers! Would love to do a drive on the Big Island someday :)

Hi Michael Fritts,
I'm considering venturing up to Alaska this summer in a Tesla if I do an electric road trip on the mainland. Looking at the map, I see one of the quicker ways to get to Alaska would be to visit Hyder, in Southern Alaska, near Steward, Canada. Could you tell us a little about your part of the trip that included a drive up north? I'm curious where you ended up and what suggestions you might have.

Guiness doesn't consider as a record, "firsts". They might consider something quantified like "fastest transit of all 50 states in an electric car". However, an application must be submitted before a record is attempted. So, perhaps someone else can do it and take the record.

- - - Updated - - -

Hyder and the area nearby are beautiful. There are good stations along the way listed on plugshare. Hyder itself is a challenge however. No EV charger available when I went and the RV parks don't have compatible plugs for any available Tesla adapter. it's a slow charge on 110 and a max range drive. Good luck!

Hyder and the area nearby are beautiful. There are good stations along the way listed on plugshare. Hyder itself is a challenge however. No EV charger available when I went and the RV parks don't have compatible plugs for any available Tesla adapter. it's a slow charge on 110 and a max range drive. Good luck!

Many thanks on the reply. I'll stick with my Hyder strategy if I can get free and pull off the trip this summer.

I met two Tesla owners on the trip who knew each other from plugshare and subsequently sharing charging with each other. One is a conservative, the other, liberal. They both had the same thing to say about each other. "I really like him, but he doesn't like me." I thought that was funny.

I met two Tesla owners on the trip who knew each other from plugshare and subsequently sharing charging with each other. One is a conservative, the other, liberal. They both had the same thing to say about each other. "I really like him, but he doesn't like me." I thought that was funny.

their names must have been Oscar and Felix. what an Odd couple.

I feel like I dropped the ball re: social media during the trip. It was a busy pace, I didn't gear-up with anything other than my cheap phone for pics, so I left most of the journaling to Lita. She put a bunch of pics up on litalovestotravel.tumblr.com for anyone who wants to see.

I feel like I dropped the ball re: social media during the trip. It was a busy pace, I didn't gear-up with anything other than my cheap phone for pics, so I left most of the journaling to Lita. She put a bunch of pics up on litalovestotravel.tumblr.com for anyone who wants to see.

I just checked out Lita's photos and the trip looked fun. I'm more inspired than ever to do an electric road trip!

I heard about west coast port strikes today so I used the phone app to check on the car.I I expected it to be sitting on a boat offshore, waiting to be unloaded. I dropped it off ten days ago and it was scheduled to arrive on feb. 27th. Now I see that it hasn't even left the place where I dropped it off!!! I'll have to go check on it tomorrow. Looks like I'm going to have a long wait in California for the car to arrive.