Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rented 85kw for 3 days during Super Bowl.. Opting NOT to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, I just want to say I've been a huge Model S fan and have dreamed enthusiastically about owning it. My renting experience was awesome however, for this vehicle to truly be livable and tolerable there needs to be much more of a initiative to make the battery range greater and expanding supercharging network to the inner cities.

0-60 in 3 seconds SHOULD NOT be a priority over extending range..

For this car to be $100,000 the battery should be the #1 priority and buying a dual charger, getting a 2nd battery, and/or charging hub seems to make the cost of owning the car skyrocket..

I've decided to pass on this and just get a Porsche, BMW or Lexus.

Here a few thoughts..

1. Limiting the battery charging to 80% to extend the life of the battery makes 265 miles really be 220 miles. Why? Because any driver would not let the battery get past 20 miles or less before having anxiety of it dying. And to me the emergency reserves should not be counted or factored in, because its " Emergency. "

2. I find the charging hub unit for my home seems to be feasible but really, it wouldn't compare to using the super charger as the ability to charge the vehicle at the supercharger to 265 miles in 1.5 hours.

3. I have a Nissan Altima that gives me 400 miles to the gallon. So a true 220 miles of the model S, simply would be illogical to do there.

4. The interior space, tech package, and driving was absolutely flawless..

5. Even the most avid trip planner will still from time to time have range anxiety. It's like owning a cell phone. Because you buy 2 or 3 extra AC Adapters you'll never even think twice of running out of range. Tesla doesn't give you that at all.

I agree that increased range should be more important than 0-60 in 3 seconds, but your wording implies that the existence of the P85D puts their priorities in the wrong place. I see no reason to think that's the case. Making an electric car with a big battery accelerate fast is pretty easy. Electric motors are extremely well suited to this, and the massive acceleration of the P85D is more of a "well, why not?" than a tough research problem.

Higher capacity batteries, however, are completely the opposite. They're an extremely difficult research problem. They're important enough that a ton of resources are being poured into that research, but it's a difficult problem and progress is slow regardless.

I don't understand your comment about "make the cost of owning the car skyrocket." Dual chargers are only $1,500 and a home charging installation will cost similar. There's no way to buy or install a second battery. Dual chargers also aren't necessary for most people. Unless you drive over 200 miles every day, you can recharge overnight with no problem. As long as you can charge to 100% in the time between when you arrive home at night and leave home the next morning, home charging speed doesn't matter.

Don't get me wrong, better range would be fantastic. But I don't think it's nearly as easy nor as important as you make it sound.

1. Your home charger gives you a full charge every morning. Zero time out of your day. Any comparison to an SC is illogical; you won't get 480V residential anywhere on the planet.

2. Most people have no need for dual chargers. If you choose to add one after delivery, it's $3600. Not a showstopper. Note as well that SCs are added at the rate of ~40/month now and will be for the next 1.5 years. That infrastructure boost does not include HPWCs which are now just about given away to hotels and other destinations.

3. Good luck with the new ICE; perhaps you'll revisit taking the plunge in 2-3 years.

To to take your cellphone analogy to a conclusion - let's say AT&T/Sprint/Verizon comes out with a phone with a battery that lasts 2 weeks, BUT you can't charge it at home - instead, every 2 weeks you have to take it back to an AT&T store for 10 minutes to recharge it there.

If this sounds like a great idea to you, you should absolutely stay with an ICE. If that sounds dumb, you might be ready for an EV.

For this car to be $100,000 the battery should be the #1 priority and buying a dual charger, getting a 2nd battery, and/or charging hub seems to make the cost of owning the car skyrocket..

I've decided to pass on this and just get a Porsche, BMW or Lexus.

Here a few thoughts..

1. Limiting the battery charging to 80% to extend the life of the battery makes 265 miles really be 220 miles. Why? Because any driver would not let the battery get past 20 miles or less before having anxiety of it dying. And to me the emergency reserves should not be counted or factored in, because its " Emergency. "

2. I find the charging hub unit for my home seems to be feasible but really, it wouldn't compare to using the super charger as the ability to charge the vehicle at the supercharger to 265 miles in 1.5 hours.

3. I have a Nissan Altima that gives me 400 miles to the gallon. So a true 220 miles of the model S, simply would be illogical to do there.

4. The interior space, tech package, and driving was absolutely flawless..

5. Even the most avid trip planner will still from time to time have range anxiety. It's like owning a cell phone. Because you buy 2 or 3 extra AC Adapters you'll never even think twice of running out of range. Tesla doesn't give you that at all.

I disagree, with much of what you say, but then, I have been driving a Model S for over two years.
400 mile range vs 220 mile range is meaningless IF you don't drive more than 220 miles in a day.

We have over 48,000 miles on our 2012 and 21,000 on our 2013. We took a 5000 mile road trip from the Midwest to CA and back, numerous interstate trips, and Zero range anxiety. And we spent less time plotting out out charging needs than we did our hotels.
So no, not everyone has range anxiety on trips as you imply.

While the Superchargers are very fast, the 40 amp NEMA 14-50 is meant for overnight charging. For that purpose it doesn't need to be fast.
Unless you are driving more than 220-250 miles per day, there is no difference between the charge being done at midnight, or 5:00am.
There is faster home charging available (about 5 hours vs 9) if you don't have 8-9 hours at home each night.

Waking up each morning with a full tank is a phenomenal convenience. I will never go back.
I understand your driving patterns may be different, although you didn't mention them, and EVs of any type may not work for everyone.

However, the number of people that would be well served by even more range is, IMO, much much smaller than the added attention and dispelling of myths that increased performance generates.

I believe the OP meant 400 miles per tank, not gallon, comparing range from a full (or 90%) charge to a full tank in the Nissan.

I suspect you're correct, given the context. Very much not what he said, however - even when I pointed out how improbable it was.

My 2003 Jetta TDI had a bladder busting 800 mile fuel tank - but I tend to think starting with a full charge every day is more useful than the total range, as long as DCFC is handy wherever you'd want to eat on a road trip.
Walter

0-60 in 3 seconds SHOULD NOT be a priority over extending range..

Because any driver would not let the battery get past 20 miles or less before having anxiety of it dying.

I find the charging hub unit for my home seems to be feasible but really, it wouldn't compare to using the super charger as the ability to charge the vehicle at the supercharger to 265 miles in 1.5 hours.

I have a Nissan Altima that gives me 400 miles to the gallon. So a true 220 miles of the model S, simply would be illogical to do there.

1) Who said it was?

2) I've run batteries down to less than that dozens of times without getting the slightest bit nervous. As for your 20 mile figure, I've seen similar claims in Canada, but 20 km, so ~13 miles. I charge to 100% when I need to without undue battery degradation. Of course, it's not like I need to drive over 200 miles non-stop often, which I suspect is the case for most people.

3) When you recharge overnight, it makes absolutely no difference if it takes 1.5, 4.5, or ten hours. Since you mentioned limiting the recharge to 80%, make that 40 minutes,3.5 hours, or 8 hours.

4) If for some reason you need constantly to drive long distances with no breaks, the Model S is not for you, but why did you need to rent one to know that?

The OP is comparing 400 miles per tank with 260 miles per charge.
To fairly compare ICE with EV you should add the cost of a gas tank, pump, permits, and delivery costs for your garage to be equal.
Oh, and don't forget the fire suppression.
I agree that range should be a propriety over HP if the MS is your primary vehicle; if not, then what you want or can afford.