Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempt to break Coast to Coast EV record this April - Anyone wanna join?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are putting together a "reverse Cannonball Run" departing Los Angeles on April 11, 2015 with the goal of beating the 67hr record set by the folks at Edmonds. The idea is o beat the record and then meet up with the Tesla Road Trip folks in MD. Just testing initial interest of who might be down with going on this historic venture?

It would an an interesting adventure and I might consider participating. My question though is how this could be done. Is there now a shorter route with new Superchargers? The weather conditions would be a little better so we would need less energy which could help make up time. What is your plan? We would need at least two drivers per car. I would also try to get Tesla's support. They could make sure the Superchargers are all working so there are no surprises. Just one issue with a Supercharger could make the whole trip fail.

This looks like fun. I have a few questions about your philosophy, though.

There is no official "record" and no "rules". Guinness doesn't recognize speed records on public roads, which is why Tesla went for "shortest time charging". Will you be speeding when practical or abiding by posted speed limits?

Do you consider it it a coast-to-coast record or a LA to NYC record? People seem to be enamored with the Gumball re-creation, when that is far from the shortest/fastest C2C route. A Supercharger route from LA to Jacksonville on I-10 may be open next year which will shave many hours off the coast-to-coast time.

Speaking of new Supercharger routes, won't this record just last a few months until a shorter/faster route opens, even on the LA-NYC path? Planning to make this an annual event?

If it were me, I would vote for the Portofino<->Red Ball Garage run - just to make it 'official'.

Would it be possible to break the original 1933 Cannon Ball Baker record of 53 hours 30 mins? I think it is. But not with the current supercharger network. Maybe by 2017?

I did the real cannonball run ( red ball garage in Manhatten to Portofino in Redondo Beach) last fall in my P85. Not telling my time til the statutes expire. Lots of fun though. As far as I am concerned LA to NYC is cheating - massive tailwinds across the mid west. In my mind I hold the EV record -- for now.

We are putting together a "reverse Cannonball Run" departing Los Angeles on April 11, 2015 with the goal of beating the 67hr record set by the folks at Edmonds. The idea is o beat the record and then meet up with the Tesla Road Trip folks in MD. Just testing initial interest of who might be down with going on this historic venture?

I'm located in Cleveland, Ohio and considering attending the MD gathering. Depending on what route you take I'd be interested in accompanying you for the last portion of the haul--- so keep us posted for sure!

Using all 3 of your Tesla's would be a record hard to beat, not too mention the media attention it might get.

Doubt all 3 will be there, maybe 2. :)

The route will be determined 30 days prior but I fully expect Ohio to be on the route. :)

- - - Updated - - -

It would an an interesting adventure and I might consider participating. My question though is how this could be done. Is there now a shorter route with new Superchargers? The weather conditions would be a little better so we would need less energy which could help make up time. What is your plan? We would need at least two drivers per car. I would also try to get Tesla's support. They could make sure the Superchargers are all working so there are no surprises. Just one issue with a Supercharger could make the whole trip fail.

Yes there are other routing alternatives now plus more chargers so less time charging for distance, I would suggest two drivers per vehicle minimum. As for Tesla, Im sure that will jump on board unofficially as this becomes more real.

- - - Updated - - -

This looks like fun. I have a few questions about your philosophy, though.

There is no official "record" and no "rules". Guinness doesn't recognize speed records on public roads, which is why Tesla went for "shortest time charging". Will you be speeding when practical or abiding by posted speed limits?

Do you consider it it a coast-to-coast record or a LA to NYC record? People seem to be enamored with the Gumball re-creation, when that is far from the shortest/fastest C2C route. A Supercharger route from LA to Jacksonville on I-10 may be open next year which will shave many hours off the coast-to-coast time.

Speaking of new Supercharger routes, won't this record just last a few months until a shorter/faster route opens, even on the LA-NYC path? Planning to make this an annual event?

True, no official "record" although we all know it's held by Edmonds :) Yes, it's possible that the record may hold for a few months maybe longer... but there may be twists depending on how many cars come along, might open up other records. Im not going to support speeding for safety reasons, drivers will have to make their own cost-benefit judgements. (Remember w aren't racing each other, just trying to beat a "pace time" which I feel confident we can do)

True, no official "record" although we all know it's held by Edmonds :) Yes, it's possible that the record may hold for a few months maybe longer... but there may be twists depending on how many cars come along, might open up other records. Im not going to support speeding for safety reasons, drivers will have to make their own cost-benefit judgements. (Remember w aren't racing each other, just trying to beat a "pace time" which I feel confident we can do)

There have been "hints" of faster runs, but since speed laws were broken, they are unwilling to post the times publicly. Maybe you can figure out an anonymous, yet verifiable way to publish results?

If I had a Tesla, I'd be there!

Last edited:
There have been "hints" of faster runs, but since speed laws were broken, they are unwilling to post the times publicly. Maybe you can figure out an anonymous, yet verifiable way to publish results?

Can law enforcement actually do anything about that though? If someone publishes a total time between NY and LA, that may have broken some speed limit laws, nobody can prove or know where they were broken, and don't people have to be caught in the act by a LEO of breaking the speed limit? This seems hyper-paranoid to me.

Can law enforcement actually do anything about that though? If someone publishes a total time between NY and LA, that may have broken some speed limit laws, nobody can prove or know where they were broken, and don't people have to be caught in the act by a LEO of breaking the speed limit? This seems hyper-paranoid to me.

That's what I thought, and the ICE Cannonball record holders have no problem claiming credit, it seems.

Maybe they are worried that their insurance company will see the info and react. I can picture a problem if you were taken to court in an unrelated accident case -- it would not go well if the opposing lawyer was able to point to your published illegal speed record on public roads...

LOL Well, there are some calculations to be made for sure. Clearly we'd wand to be charging the "bottom 60%" of the battery at SC's whenever feasible as they charge faster there. (Don't see us ever range charging). The CBR was not non-stop, folks checked in to hotels and clocked there arrival and departure times. Pretty sure we will try to go straight through, but not sure that's necessary depending on the specific records we are shooting for. I don't want a bunch of Model S's driving like lunatics on the road, Looking to have everyone go as a group (those with TACC the lead car would control the group) That may create another world record... Longest distance without touching gas/brake controls?

As soon as Coeur d'Alene, ID, Gillette, WY and Sheridan, WY Superchargers are in, I think it will be much faster to cross the US from Seattle to New York, than LA to New York. It's about 2908 miles from Seattle to New York and about 3375 miles from LA to New York, especially via Rapid City, SD. A delta of 467 miles. I am hoping to join this Northern Route Rally at the Idaho/Montana border and do the Montana Section with everyone. "Tesla" seemed to suggest to my City Sustainability Manager that once the shorter Northern SC Route is complete, there will be some sort of new record attempted. Time will Tell.