Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk auto open & close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that this would have been talked about already but I couldn't find anything. So the question is if anyone put in electric linear actuator and some fix for the looking of the frunk. It would be great if it would be possible to open and close the trunk with the fob/key. I would use it a lot more. So any thoughts about this?

It's been discussed in the Frunk Dent threads, but you'd have to read the whole thread to get the related posts.

As far as I know, the obstacles are:

1. Regulations, which vary by country (they might have to produce twenty different closing mechanisms).

2. Force required. As far as I can tell, the problem is that the amount of pressure required to compress the hood seal varies with car. Mine doesn't require much, so no dents, but others require a lot and often get dents. The mechanism could easily dent the hood, which would defeat the purpose.

3. Cost. I wouldn't think this would be a show stopper unless #1 is significantly worse than expected.

In my opinion, the correct solution would be to have the hood seal engage when the frunk was shut and have it retract when open. This would make the hood easy to close so denting wouldn't be a particular problem (e.g. you'd have to try hard to dent the hood) and would provide a very good seal. It would be no more complex than the door handles.