Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ownership Experience Without a Smartphone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if you don't leave the PC on, you can boot up VisibleTesla on your laptop or whatever PC you are running. It has more capabilities than the phone app. For example, VisibleTesla can fully open the pano roof; whereas the phone app can only set it to vent mode.

You can use an Android emulator on a PC to run the Android Tesla app. I've got it working here and is my backup plan when my VisibleTesla access stops.

I've got the Bluestacks Android Emulator installed. I installed it, logged into Google Play and downloaded the Tesla app. It made an icon for the app on my desktop automatically, so all I have to do is click the Tesla icon and the whole things loads up without clicking anything else.... (good for parents at the non-smartphone level) ;)

-m

Perhaps an iPod Touch? Or a Samsung Tablet? As long as they have access to WiFi in locations where they may be, they can manage the car (preheat, etc.).

The car itself will have cellular and WiFi access in the same locations, so this should not be an issue.

In the generic sense of the question, the use of a "connected" device is miniscule in comparison to the car itself. Are they looking at the car as a tech gadget or a vehicle? Albeit one of the most beautiful vehicles in the world.

I agree, however, that the remote connection features are fantastic as living in New England necessitates this. I do pre-heat and pre-cool the car using the app all the time. Everything other then that, I rarely use.

For my first 8 months, I didn't have a smart phone or tablet. It didn't degrade my experience at all. A few months after ownership I found I was able to use Visible Tesla on my mac or windows computer
My wife then got an iPad 5 months later, so I was able to use the Tesla app on the iPad to preheat the car.
I now have an iPhone 5s. The only thing I really use on the app is to preheat or pre-cool the car.

btw..as an aside, I wasn't always able to connect to the car using the app or VT, and would have to manually heat or cool it. I believe the app has gotten better since the release of version 6.1

My parents are considering the Model S, but neither has a smartphone. How will this degrade the user experience of owning a Model S? Can they do things like preheating the car and checking status from a web browser?

Not much at all... If they don't want to use the app, it's just like any old car that you have to walk to anyways to get that info... Heating works really well (though I'm in So-Cal so we rarely see a day below 50). As for charging status, for daily driving it's just a matter of plugging in at night and unplugging in the morning... No real need to check charge status...

VT is a godsend for non-commuters where every day is a new day, so being able to check the Tesla from indoors is most convenient. Typically all we can reliably remember about the last trip is arriving home and plugging in!
--

If they don't own a smartphone, they (and you) might want to consider if a Model S is the right car for them. Not because of any limitations on what it can do, but rather because someone who doesn't want to own a smartphone might have trouble dealing with the interface on the Model S, and might prefer a more traditional car.

For me the smart phone app does not always connect/work anyway. Most of the time I do not think to precool/heat the car and other times by the time I connect I am getting in the car. So, not having a smart phone will make little difference. You will not miss something you do not know about. Of course our seasons are very limited in Southern California.

My parents are considering the Model S, but neither has a smartphone. How will this degrade the user experience of owning a Model S? Can they do things like preheating the car and checking status from a web browser?

Are they against getting a smart phone? It does improve the user experience but isn't necessary to own the car or even enjoy it. Would they ever want to preheat or precool the car when they are out and about?

You totally do not need smart phone to use the car. It adds a few features (pre-heat, start car from phone, locate car) that are nice, but overall unnecessary - especially for someone not inclined to smartphone anyway. If they don't have smartphone, I also don't expect they are geeky enough to want to use visible tesla, but who knows. I would take into account donv's post above... make sure they are comfortable operating the 17" screen and exploring it's functions. If that baffles them, then they might be too analog for the car.

You totally do not need smart phone to use the car. It adds a few features (pre-heat, start car from phone, locate car) that are nice, but overall unnecessary - especially for someone not inclined to smartphone anyway. If they don't have smartphone, I also don't expect they are geeky enough to want to use visible tesla, but who knows. I would take into account donv's post above... make sure they are comfortable operating the 17" screen and exploring it's functions. If that baffles them, then they might be too analog for the car.

I don't think this is true at all. They aren't stupid. They just don't have a need for smartphones.

I don't think this is true at all. They aren't stupid. They just don't have a need for smartphones.

Hold on a sec. Nobody called anybody stupid. Not how we operate here. My mother had masters in math from Harvard and never got hang of windows though she could program a computer. It's generational. No idea age of your parents, so it is fair of donv to raise question.

Sorry about that. I quoted you accidentally. I meant to quote donv where he said "If they don't own a smartphone, they (and you) might want to consider if a Model S is the right car for them." I find that comment ridiculous as the two have no connection. Sorry about using the S-word. I understand the culture here, and appreciate the callout.

Without a smartphone they won't be able to access the car remotely, but that makes no difference in the ownership experience. The car is amazing on its own!

If your parents don't own smartphone they are hardly likely to miss the functionality of remotely accessing the car. Don't worry about it.

Without a smartphone they won't be able to access the car remotely, but that makes no difference in the ownership experience. The car is amazing on its own!

If your parents don't own smartphone they are hardly likely to miss the functionality of remotely accessing the car. Don't worry about it.

I definitely agree with this post. I almost never use the phone app, and definitely don't consider it necessary. I think somebody who doesn't feel the need to have a smart phone will also not feel the need for any of the functions that the app provides.